forty seven

seunghoon

I LEFT work earlier than I intended to so I wouldn't do anything stupid.

I should have just stayed anyway.

Teagan called me around eleven thirty to tell me that the AAN was under attack.

I ran to the building as Teagan stayed on the line with me. She was in her car and was telling me about how two people came in and attacked the building. She was saying how they thought one was a Noctura, doing the most damage, but another seemed like a human. They weren't sure. She left before it got too chaotic, but she had a feeling they were there for Yoon. She had a feeling they were part of the Alliance, since they thought it was a human with a Noctura.

Teagan was right.

When I got to the building, there were bodies all along the hallway from the interrogation room to the back door. They were trying to clean it up.

Someone told me what Teagan told me. The only thing they added was that the two people got away, Yoon in tow.

We lost Yoon, the Alliance leader. And we had lost a lot of AAN members in the process of losing Yoon.

Now, it's almost one thirty. I'm sitting at my desk. Teagan has a chair pulled up next to me and a blanket wrapped around her shoulders.

They got everything cleaned up. Now everyone is just standing or sitting around, not sure what to do.

There's a hot cup of coffee on my desk. I just poured it for myself, but I haven't drank any yet.

Teagan reaches forward and wraps her hands around the cup. "It's still warm. You should probably drink it soon, though. It'll get cold soon."

I look over at her.

She lets out a sigh. "Seunghoon, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I tell her. "Are you okay? You were here when it happened."

"I'm okay," she says. "I just heard the gunshots and someone told me to leave, so I went to my car and called you. I know you were really hoping to interrogate Yoon, and..."

She trails off.

I hear heavy footsteps and look over to see Andres moving toward us.

"Seunghoon, sir," Andres says, now addressing me formally since I'm a rank above him. I don't care about that right now, though.

"Yes?" I ask.

"Khatri was just on the phone with the director," Andres informs me. "He said the director wants to deal with everything tomorrow, and that everyone except those with the night shifts should go home."

I nod.

Teagan brings the coffee mug closer to her. "You probably don't need this anymore."

I don't say anything, only letting out a sigh.

Suddenly, I hear more footsteps. Marching footsteps. Heading toward the front door.

Andres, Teagan, and I all look over at the AAN members, in full gear with weapons, marching out the door.

"Wait, what the hell is happening?" Andres walks over. Khatri, a rank one soldier, is standing behind the group of about a dozen AAN members.

"Plans changed," Khatri said. "We identified one of the people who broke Yoon out of here. Director wants us to go after him."

"What?" I stand up, moving over toward them. I hear Teagan follow.

Khatri nods. "We know where the guy lives. We're going there now, hopefully to catch him."