eighteen

minho

"JOIN US. Fight with us."

The screen switches to show multiple shots of the white-haired guy, Yoon, spray-painting a building and throwing smoke bombs. It shows the smoke rising in the air and it shows Yoon staring intensely into the camera, smoke moving all around him.

After that, the screen turns black, a single symbol taking up most of the screen.

A capital "A" with a circle around it.

Then the TV snaps to black.

I look over at Jinwoo, shock on my face.

He shakes his head at me. "The Alliance? Is this real?"

"Yeah," I say quietly. "It's definitely real. And that's the guy I saw yesterday."

"Yoon?"

"He was the guy in the alley. He told me I would know who he was soon. Well, now I do."

"He really helps Nocturas? Do you think he already has Nocturas on his side?"

I shake my head. "I don't know. But, yeah. He's a human and he really does help Nocturas."

"How are we supposed to reach him?" Jinwoo asks. "How are we supposed to get help from him or join?"

"I don't know," I answer honestly. "I bet he's always around, looking, waiting. He seems like the kind of guy that would do that."

Jinwoo sits back against the couch. "I don't understand all this stuff, still. I don't remember anything. Except..."

He trails off and I look over at him.

"Except what?" I ask. "Did you remember something?"

"The other day," he starts. "I remembered something the other day. I looked out the window and there was someone walking by with a golden retriever. I suddenly remembered sitting against a tree in the grass, a textbook in front of me, and a golden retriever running up to me. I pet the dog and then it was called away. After that, I don't remember anything."

"Your memories can be triggered by certain things," I tell him excitedly. "Jinwoo, that's amazing! Maybe if we just get you out there and try to show you different things and such, you'll start to remember more stuff."

"Yeah," he answers. "But... I don't remember anything about the Nocturas and I fought one in that arena. How come a memory wasn't triggered then?"

"I don't know," I say. "Still, your memory can be triggered by things. That's a really good start, right?"

Jinwoo shrugs. "Yeah, I guess so."

We sit on the couch for a moment, in silence.

"I wonder what Seunghoon thinks about this," I say quietly.

"Seunghoon? Your best friend?"

I nod.

"He's not only human, but..." I trail off. "He works in the AAN."

Jinwoo's eyes widen. "Your best friend is a human and works for the AAN? The organization that wants people like you killed?"

Hesitantly, I nod again. "I know it's not ideal. It's not like I tried to be friends with an AAN member. I just... Seunghoon and I became best friends when we were young and then we grew up together. I can't just suddenly stop being his best friend now."

"What happens if he finds out?"

"He won't."

"But what if?"