Chapter 9: The Date (Part 1)

I walked into Global Studies unable to contain the smile on my face as I sat down next to Ella. She gave me a look over before smirking and giving me a pat on the back. I swear it was if she could read my mind sometimes. "That's my girl!" He encouraged and I felt pride swell inside my chest. It may not have gone exactly as planned but I did it. I had talked to Xander and I even had a date tonight. For the first time since last Friday I felt like things were back on track. After class, Ella and I grabbed lunch before returning to our dorms. We both scarfed down our sub sandwiches before completing our homework of the day. Once the time reached 6 o'clock Ella went all "What Not to Wear" on me. She rummaged through my closet, throwing various compliments and insults my way at the articles of clothing she found there. We eventually settled on a red flowy dress and black heels. I left my brown waves down but I agreed to let Ella twist back a few pieces to make it seem a little more done up. I put on red lipstick and mascara and once my transformation was complete Ella nodded in approval. "Even though you rejected my idea to go big, I have to say you look stunning with this simple look." She commented and I smirked. "I'll leave 'going big' to you Ella. It's more your style." I winked at her and then there was a knock at the door. He was here. It was Ella that opened the door this time to reveal a very clad Xander Wilde. He was wearing a black suit and tie and I practically melted at the sight. He chose to keep his glasses on this time and they somehow magnified how handsome he was in that suit. Ella realized I was awestruck and she cleared her throat, waking me from my trance. "You look beautiful," Xander said, and I could see the adoration in his eyes as I stepped out of the dorm room and stood beside him. "Thank you," I smiled shyly. Ella was watching us from the doorway with a smirk. "You crazy kids have fun!" She called as we walked away. "So where are we going?" I asked him and he reaches into his suit pocket and pulls out two tickets. "We are going to Gotham Theater to see Hamilton," He said. I couldn't believe he remembered my favorite musical, as I had only mentioned it once when we first met. I wanted to jump into his arms and kiss him right then and there but I restrained myself. I couldn't however, contain my excitement as my face lit up. "No way! I thought that was all sold out in Gotham?" I said in amazement. "My parents just so happen to know the director and he slipped us a few tickets." He explained and my jaw dropped. "Your parents know Thomas Kail???" I asked shocked and he nodded. When we made it out to the street a taxi cab picked us up and drove us to the theater. I had never had enough money to actually go inside but I managed to sneak in a lot growing up. It was easier to live in the fantasy world of plays than to deal with the cruel reality of growing up with nothing. It felt like I had finally overcome my past as I made my way up those stone steps for the first time with an actual ticket. Xander was at my side, his hand on my waist as we walked in. I felt butterflies dance in my stomach at his touch and I looked around us. For once I didn't feel scrutinized by those who lived the posh lifestyle, I felt like one of them. We found our seats easily and I couldn't stop smiling at Xander, the whole night having me giddy. Once the play began, I was tapping Xander throughout the production, telling him my favorite parts and spoiling what was to come. In addition, I sang along to every song, which I had known the lyrics to since I was six. He was thankfully very patient and seemed to enjoy how much I loved the play. Once it had finished and the actors all took their final bows, Xander and I made our way out of the building. I was laughing in excitement, grabbing his hands and dancing with him as I hummed the tune to the music from the play as we awaited our cab. "Wasn't that just amazing?" I beamed. "It really was," he agreed but by the way he was looking at me I didn't think he was talking about the play. He began to lean in but I met him halfway and kissed him, wrapping my arms around his neck. His hands found my waist as he pulled me closer to him. I broke the kiss a little sooner than he expected, pulling back as he continued to lean forward. I placed my finger on his lips and he raised an eyebrow in question. "Our cab's here." I smirked before retreating to the cab. He entered the car shortly after me, a playful look on his face. As the cab drove us back to the school I was overwhelmed by how happy Xander made me. Little did I know the night was just beginning...