Chapter 13: The Distraction

Ella was the best friend a girl could ask for. She stayed up with me all night comforting me. I didn't tell her exactly what had happened just that Xander and I had broken up. She was super understanding and supportive, vowing that she would punch Xander square in the nuts if he came up to either of us again. I was absolutely heartbroken, even though I knew that I had no one to blame but myself. My curiosity was my downfall and I hated myself for breaking his trust like that. I still had so many questions, like what Xander had meant when he said that his brother would kill us? I didn't understand why he couldn't have just explained to me that his brother was dangerous and I wouldn't have gone looking for him. I already missed Xander immensely, as I had fallen into a new routine with him as my boyfriend. And now we had to act like strangers despite everything we had been through all because he wanted to protect me from his past. I wanted to make my own decisions about what danger I would put myself in, rather than letting him choose for me. I was very thankful that I didn't have any classes with Xander on Tuesdays as Ella and I successfully avoided Xander for the majority of the day. We only went to our classes and made sure to grab our meals and head straight back to our dorm. Between passing periods, while I was heading to English with Ella we passed Xander. His eyes met mine and they reflected the same pain I felt. Ella was rolling up her sleeves, ready to pounce but I told her not to. We were both miserable and I hated that I couldn't keep my nose in my own business and now we were both paying for it. After the moment passed, I had to regain control over my breathing to keep myself from crying, my emotions still raw from the night before. "You know what you need?" Ella said. "We are going to have a girls night tonight! Just you and I going out and having some fun!" She declared and I smiled gratefully. I certainly needed a distraction. Suddenly there was loud music filling the streets of Gotham, and all of the students at St. Ignatius gathered around the street to find the source. There was a large carriage being carried by various wild animals. There were lions, elephants, and zebras. There were peculiar people parading around the carriage, two with snakes and four juggling fire. There were clowns and acrobats performing along the street and I was amazed. "Ladies and Gentlemen, Haly's Circus welcomes you to come visit us in Gotham this week! Come watch the unthinkable become a reality at the circus!" A man in a red suit and black top hat announced. Ella nudged me and I looked at her. "It's perfect! Are you up for it?" Ella suggested and I nodded. "Let's do it." I smiled. As the parade passed, continuing its advertisement throughout the heart of Gotham, security guards from St. Ignatius urged all the students to return to their classes. After English, Ella and I returned to our dorm to get ready for our night out. Apparently most of St. Ignatius was going to the circus tonight, as not many new things came to Gotham. I had been to the circus only one time before when I was very little. I remember the bright lights and astonishing performances. It was before my brother was born, back when my parents had a more stable income. I threw on a yellow ruffle crop top and jeans. I then pulled my hair back into a pony tail and for once I let Ella do my make up. I wanted to look good tonight, as I was now single. Once Ella and I had gotten ready, there was a knock at the door. We weren't expecting anyone. I opened the door to find a very nervous Xander. "What do you want?" I asked him, my words coming our harsher than I intended as he fumbled with his hands. "Please tell me you are not going to the circus tonight!" He rushed and I scoffed. "We actually are. Why do you care?" I asked and he shook his head. "No, Lilly you guys can't! Please, don't go... You don't understand what could happen." He said panicked and I crossed my arms skeptically. "Then explain it to me, Xander..." I responded and he took a deep breath while thinking it over. "I can't..." He concluded defeatedly and I narrowed my eyes. "That's what I thought... You're not my boyfriend anymore, it's no longer your business what I do. Have a good night Xander..." I finished before closing the door. Almost immediately Ella came up to me and embraced me and I felt the strong demeanor I had just put on crumble. I took a deep breath and steadied myself. "You are so strong... Are you ready to go? We don't have to, just say the word and we'll stay in." She said. I gathered up my courage, checking to make sure that Xander had left. Seeing that he had gone, I opened the door. "No, I want to go..." I declared and she nodded grabbing her bag as we left our room. "Then off to the circus we go!" Ella exclaimed and I smiled. Haly's Circus, here we come.