Chapter 34: The Revival (Part 2)

We sat there for maybe two hours in those uncomfortable chairs, listening to the whooping and hollering of Jerome's followers as they played in their natural habitat. I was still baffled that Jerome had somehow been revived, but I was even more confused where his following had come from. I couldn't understand why they would support someone who was trying to hurt people. Suddenly a masked figure entered the tent, breaking me out of my thoughts. It was a woman, wearing a white mask with clown makeup painted on it. "Jerome wants you two to go find him." She said and I knew immediately who it was. Ecco. My spirits raised as I prepared for their rescue. The two guards looks at each other confused. "Mr. Valeska was very clear-" One guard started but then Ecco pulled out her gun and shot him. Ella screamed in response as she watched the man fall over. The other guard was quicker on his feet and he pulled his large gun on Ecco, firing rows of bullets at her. She ran and hid behind some parts of old rides that were stored in the tent, dodging the bullets. Then another masked figure snuck in while the guard was busy and began untying my arms. It was Jeremiah. "Are you okay?" He asked and I nodded and as soon as my hands were free I hugged him. He embraced me for a second before he moved to untie my legs. Boom. The other guard shot the red flare through the tent and into the sky. Jerome was coming. "We have to go now!" I panicked and he quickly finished freeing me just as Ecco finally gunned down the other guard. I ran over to Ella who was a hysterical mess, and I began untying her as quickly as I could. Three of Jerome's servants had heard the commotion inside the tent and ran to investigate. Upon seeing two of their own dead they attacked us. This girl with a red mohawk and clown make up charged at me and I punched her across the face. She clawed at me a few times before I kicked her in the stomach, knocking her to the ground. "Get Ella! I've got this!" Jeremiah shouted, stepping in front of me and taking on two of Jerome's followers. I nodded and ran back to Ella, successfully getting her untied and pulling her up out of the chair. She hugged me tightly, crying hysterically. "It's okay Ella, we're going to be okay." I reassured her just as Ecco and Jeremiah knocked out their opponents long enough for us to make our escape. "Come on!" Jeremiah said, motioning to us and we all ran out of the tent. We were bolting to the car when suddenly a bullet grazed me side. We all froze. "Thought you could get away without saying goodbye brother?" Jerome called to us, a gun in his hand. Jeremiah and Jerome had a stare-down, Jeremiah still wearing his mask. I heard Ella made a gurgling sound to my right before she fell to the floor. I scrambled next to her flipping her over to find a red spot growing in her abdomen. She had been shot. The blood was everywhere and I was so panicked I wasn't sure what to do as I looked frantically at Jeremiah. Ecco was firing shots at Jerome to keep him from getting any closer as Jeremiah kneeled next to me, looking at Ella in horror. I held her hand in mine, her head resting in my lap. "It's okay, we'll just get you in the car and take you to the hospital and you'll be fine okay?" I told her, tears forming in my eyes. Her breathing became irregular as she looked up at me in fear. "I don't want to die..." She choked out, blood filling her mouth. I shook my head. "Your not going to die, you hear me? You can't..." I said as her blood became a pool around us. The gunshots blurred to the background and all I saw was Ella. "I can join Brady..." She voiced and my heart broke. "No.." I pleaded, tears falling freely down my face. "No, you have to fight Ella!" I told her but she squeezed my hand. "T-thank you... for being my best friend... I love you Lill-" she started before her body convulsed twice and then she laid still. There was a blankness in her eyes and something inside me shattered. "Ella?... Ella! ELLA NO!" I cried, shaking and clutching on to her body. "We have to go sir!" Ecco stressed as more of Jerome's men were running towards us, paving the way for their leader. Ecco got in the driver's seat, starting the car and Jeremiah had to pry me off of Ella. "NO! ELLA! PLEASE ELLA WAKE UP!" I screamed, unable to think or breathe. I fought Jeremiah on getting in the car but his strength won the battle and he forced me inside. As soon as we were inside Ecco sped away, and we could hear the gunshots and objects being thrown our way hitting the back of the car. I wasn't focused on that however, my eyes were fixed on Ella's body left lifeless on the ground. My best friend. My head throbbed with memories that made me feel like I had to vomit as it all made me sick. Jeremiah attempted to wrap is arms around me and I resisted his comfort at first, hitting his chest and needing to get my anger out. After my energy subsided, reality sank in. Ella was dead. I settled into his arms and sobbed. I heard the sirens approaching the scene as we drove away. I had never cried and screamed so much in my life but he held me through it all.