Chapter 26: The Escape

I reached the parking lot and I scanned for Jeremiah's car desperately. Once I spotted it, I scrambled to get the keys out of my purse, unlocking the car as I ran to it. I could still hear Jerome's laughter behind me and I quickly got in and locked myself inside. Jerome just reached the car as I began backing out. I almost hit him, and he glared at me in my review mirror as I swerved away. He shot at the car, successfully hitting the bumper and shattering the back windshield. As I drove away Jerome flagged down the white van full of the rest of his goons. He hopped in and the car was hot on my trail despite my attempts to loose them. My heart was beating erratically and I knew that I had no choice but to get rid of them. The last thing I wanted was to lead him back to Jeremiah. As I approached a yellow light I slowed down, waiting for my opportunity to escape and then speeding across as soon as it turned red. It was a risky move and I had to avoid getting hit by various cars. I caused a pileup behind me, as Jerome had tried to follow me and was hit by the cars that nearly missed me. I quickly got in the right lane and turned on to a different street. I sped back to Jeremiah's house, anxiously checking behind me to make sure I wasn't being followed. Once I reached the safe haven I burst through the front door, out of breath and shaking from the adrenaline. My legs gave out on me and I collapsed to the floor, my lungs heaving for air. Jeremiah was just in the next room and he ran to me, kneeling down to the floor and checking my body for any signs of injury. I grabbed onto him and hugged him, feeling my fear finally bubble over as I desperately tried not to cry. My entire body was trembling and he wrapped his arms around me, holding me tightly. "It's okay... You're okay..." He assured me as he gestured for Ecco to check the perimeter of the house for any intruders. "J-Jerome! He saw me in the street- he shot at me, the people next to me... They died... I barely lost them driving here- He... He shot at you car and he hit it I'm sorry..." I jumbled my words together, my voice wavering. "I don't care about my car right now... What I care about is that you're here and you're safe." He soothed and I clutched at him, taking deep breaths to get my body to calm down. "I tried calling you after I saw the news.. I'm assuming that's when you ran into him?" Jeremiah said, staying eerily calm. I nodded, not trusting my words. "It's okay now baby, he can't get to you here. I promise... Ecco is outside checking to make sure you weren't followed." He continued and I couldn't get the gunshots out of my head. "P-people died today... Because of me." I said and Jeremiah pulled away grabbing my face gently but firm enough for me to know he meant business. "Listen to me Lilly... Jerome would have killed anyone on that street today, that's what crazy people do. You can't punish yourself for surviving. It was not your fault." He told me and his words began to sink in. We sat there on the floor of his entry way until I calmed enough to stand and he helped me up. We moved to the kitchen were he gave me a glass of water. I held my knees to my chest, sitting on one of the chairs. "I dropped your ice cream... Sorry." I said, feeling even worse that the whole point I had gone out had been a failure as well. Jeremiah chuckled lightly, planting a kiss on my forehead before sitting down beside me. "Don't worry about it." He smiled warmly and I looked at the cup of water in from of me. "I'm sorry I brought you into all of this... If it weren't for me you wouldn't be on Jerome's hit list." Jeremiah said and I looked over at him to see sadness and anger fighting for dominance over his emotions. "Please don't blame yourself. He wouldn't know what I look like if hadn't gone to the circus like you said." I responded but he still didn't seem satisfied and he shook his head. Ecco suddenly came into the room. "The premises is clear sir." She informed us and I heaved a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Ecco." He dismissed her and then he looked to me. "You've had an eventful day... How about we turn in early?" He suggested and I was thankful. The day had quite the emotional toll on my body and I was thankful as we walked up to his room. I changed into the pjs I had packed in my overnight bag, and I settled underneath his soft comforter. He stripped to his boxers and then crawled in after me. He scooted close to me, wrapping his arm protectively over me and I just wanted to drown in his warmth. I felt sheltered and safe in his arms and my body grey heavy as I quickly succumbed to sleep.