Chapter 30: The Fateful Decision

The next day I woke up with a splitting headache and Ella looming over me. She nearly scared me half to death and I yelped when the first image I saw was Ella's face very close to my own. She screamed in response and then my headache pulsed and I pressed my hands into my temples to dull the ache. "Sorry, I just wasn't expecting you back last night. I had to make sure you were real." Ella said, and I threw my pillow at her. "Yes I'm real! Can you grab me an aspirin?" I asked and I could actually feel the teasing smirk on her face. "A hangover huh? Trouble in paradise last night Lilly?" She asked and I rolled my eyes. Last night was a little blurry but I remembered how unhinged Jeremiah had been. I remembered how much it had scared me. I should be happy that Jerome is dead, and perhaps if it had happened under different circumstances I would be... But the reality that the man I loved was an accomplice of murder was too much for me to bear. "Jeremiah and I had a fight. That's all." I told her, not wanting to get her involved.
We got ready for the day and when we opened our door to head to our first classes of the day. On the welcome mat was a vase of roses and a note. "I'm sorry. Let's talk. -J" it read and I sighed picking up the flowers and putting them in our room. "Is 'J' some sort of kink name you two have?" Ella asked and I had to keep myself from snorting. "Must have been some fight..." Ella commented but I wasn't in the mood to talk about it. "Let's just get to class." I deflected as we returned to our route. Once again, I struggled to focus in class because all I could think about was him. It scared me how tied we were to one another and I found myself hating being mad at him. I just wanted to run to him, be with him, love him. But he complicated things with all of his dark fuckery and I had the feeling I was only scratching the surface. After class Jeremiah called and despite my feelings I decided to answer it. I told Ella I wouldn't be long, which I knew was a lie. "Hello?" I answered while making my way to the courtyard. "Lilly?" I heard Jeremiah and I internally sighed. "I'm here." I replied while sitting down at the spot we had watched shooting stars and talked about our lives on our first date. That was the first time I had learned about his brother, and that's how it all began. "I want to apologize for last night. I drank far too much and I shouldn't have been so harsh with you." He said, sounding remorseful. "Let me make it up to you. I'd like to take you out to dinner." He said. I was surprised he was taking me on an actual date as I was still getting used to not hiding anymore. "Fine." I replied, my mind and my heart fighting for reign over my actions. "I love you." He said gently into the phone and it made my heart quiver. "I know... I love you too." I replied and I could hear his sigh of relief. "I'll pick you up at 8." He informed me before we said our goodbyes and hung up the phone. I stayed in the courtyard for a while longer, my hands running through the grass. I wished I could go back to the beginning, the excitement of budding love. It was much easier. We were at the point were the darkest parts of ourselves came to light and it was both terrifying and intriguing. I finally went back to the dorms to find Ella was about to leave and grab a late lunch. She invited me but I wasn't very hungry so I decided I would stay in. I spent the afternoon preparing myself emotionally for my encounter with Jeremiah. I couldn't decide if I would compromise my morals for him, my feelings towards him clouding my judgement. When the time came I put on a white lace dress, putting my hair into a braided up do. I received a text from Ella that she was hanging out with the man she had met at the bar so I would have to brave our first interaction since last night alone. I was happy for her though since she seemed to really like him. And then there was a knock at the door. I took a deep breath before answering. He was wearing a black suit and fuck he looked so good in a suit. "Hey..." He said, his green eyes looking to my own. I found the shy and sweet Jeremiah before me and God I had missed him. I pulled him into a hug, unable to stay far away from him for too long. He placed gentle kisses in my hair, holding me to him as if I would vanish if he let me go. After a couple minutes had passed we finally released one another. "I found the most elegant place in all of Gotham, you'll love it." He smiled, taking my hand in his. While it was so natural to be around this version of him, the man from last night remained in the back of my mind. We walked to his car and I watched him as he drove us to the restaurant. I love him so much it worried me. He would catch me unapologetically looking at him every now and again and his cheeks would turn red and I found it so adorable. "We're here." He informed me as we traded his car over to valet parking. He held his arm out for my to lock mine in and he walked us into the fancy restaurant. It was called Merci Amour and it was decorated as if it were a French castle with rich red drapes and cream detailing on the walls, small recreations of famous French architectural pieces throughout the room. I had never been in a restaurant this fancy in my life. "Wilde." Jeremiah told the host when he asked for our reservation who in turn lead us to our table. We ordered our meals, and then the waiter left us for long enough to start the real conversation we came here for. "So... Last night." I started and he nodded for me to continue. "It's just hard for me to process your role in Jerome's death... And it scares me that there is this whole other side of you that only comes out part of the time. A side of you that is cold and hurtful." I confessed, looking down at my hands in my lap. He waits to see if I am finished and when I don't say anything more he clears his throat. "There is this darkness that I was born with... Sometimes I think it's in my very blood and I fight it every day. Other times, I can't control it. I think it's a product of sharing the womb with a deranged psychopath..." Jeremiah explained. "Lilly please look at me." He continued and I lifted my eyes to meet his. "I am truly sorry for how I acted last night. I know that it was a lot for you to take in. And I completely understand if you want nothing to do with me after all that you've learned." He finished but the idea was too painful for me to consider. "I'm not leaving you... I love you, despite it all." I told him sincerely. He was slightly surprised by my answer and something seemed to register in his head. He had me right where he wanted me. And just like that I felt my morals break as I reached across the table and grabbed his hand. Love makes you do crazy things.
-
Tonight's episode of Gotham was amazing! Jeremiah continues to slay my entire life with his beautiful existence oh man Gotham better be renewed I honestly can't imagine not having another season at this point it would crush me haha. Hope you guys like this update!
- m