Chapter 28: The Death

I took a shower, not letting Jeremiah join me because I was still mad that he beat me. He had laughed it off but I was frustrated that I was so fragile, so easily beaten. If I were to run into Jerome again, he would surely kill me and it would be easy. After my shower I got dressed into fresh clothes and then went downstairs. Jeremiah eyed me, surveying my mood. "Feeling better?" He asked and I stuck my tung out at him playfully but then smiled so that he would know I wasn't upset anymore. He brought me into a hug and I rested my head on his chest. "I just want to be able to protect myself... Danger seems to follow me no matter what I do." I said and he hummed in response. "You do seem to be very unlucky." He chuckled and while we were talking light heartedly the topic was very real. He grew serious. "You'll get there. Give yourself time. You think I was any better when I first started?" He asked and I sighed. "Okay... I'll be patient." I admitted defeat. I heard the doorbell ring and I involuntarily jumped as we never had guests. Jeremiah stiffened slightly at the sound and then he pulled away from me. "I have a meeting with someone for work, I'll be in my study if you need me." He informed me as Ecco answered the door and let the man inside. It was the current mayor of Gotham, Theodore Galavan. Jeremiah led him to his study and then closed the door. They were talking very quietly and I couldn't make out any of their conversation. I busied myself with my classic literature essay that was due tomorrow that I had started with Ella before Ecco called me to help with Jeremiah. He and the mayor finally emerged just as I finished my paper. "Thank you for coming Mr. Galavant." Jeremiah said politely. "It was a pleasure doing business with you Mr. Wilde." The mayor said before he was escorted out. "What was that all about?" I asked and Jeremiah didn't quite meet my eyes. "We're just working on the construction of a new building in Gotham." Jeremiah said and I had the strange feeling he was lying. I wasn't sure why he would hide his activities from me so I chose to believe him anyways. The sun was beginning to set and I helped Jeremiah make dinner. We ate a chicken and vegetable meal at his dining table and Jeremiah had a very relaxed nature about him. After dinner, Ecco and Jeremiah were washing the dishes as I turned the news on to see if there was any more news on Jerome's whereabouts. The headline read "JEROME VALESKA SLAIN BY HERO THEO GALAVAN" and I was shocked. "Jeremiah!" I called and he set down the plate he was drying to come check out what I wanted him to see. "Isn't that the man who was here earlier? I can't believe it, he actually killed Jerome... " I said in disbelief as the news reporter explained the terrorist attack Jerome pulled at the local charity fundraiser. More people were killed, and Jerome had established himself as a true threat to all of Gotham. I watched Jeremiah cautiously, unsure how he would take the news. He didn't seem too surprised however, and I was beginning to feel uneasy. "Good... Now he won't be able to hurt anyone else." Jeremiah said his expression unreadable and guarded. "We're safe now..." Jeremiah continued, a small smile on his face at the realization. "We don't have to hide anymore." He concluded and my stomach dropped. In that moment everything seemed to add up. The meeting earlier, Jerome's death, and Jeremiah's reaction all lead to one terrifying conclusion. This is what he was hiding earlier. Jeremiah had played a role in Jerome's death.