Chaper 49: The Maze

The stone walls of the maze were a shining blue color due to the bright moon looming above. I used the flashlight to see down each path to see which one would lead me to the next part of the maze and to avoid the dead ends. My hand was shaking so hard that I had to use my other to still it enough to be able to see what was being illuminated by the beam of light. I didn't have much time to think, only to do. I turned each path quickly, my chest painful with fear, my whole body feeling each heartbeat as I made my way through the maze. Right. Left. Right. Interesting, that is the opposite pattern of the labyrinth that was in our old house. All of a sudden, something clicked. This structure was the inverse of the old maze that Jeremiah had me memorize. "This is my maze Lilith... I know it better than anyone else. Stop running now and I'll be gentle when I find you." He called out into the night and I gasped, his voice sounding close. What he didn't know was that I had figured his maze out and I knew exactly how to get out. I ran for my life, doing the opposite of what I had trained myself to do in the case of Jerome's intrusion. But this time I was running from my husband, the one I had trusted most. I knew that what I was doing was irreversible, and that it would damage the both of us. But I had to get away. I needed to form my own opinions and make my own decisions as I was so tired of letting other people do it for me. I reached the end of the maze and my eyes frantically searched around me. We were on a hill that overlooked Gotham, a dirt road the only company of the lone house. No one would have ever found me here alone, and I would never escape by foot. Where was Casandra? I wanted to throw up as I heard footsteps approaching me and I ran to the other side of the dirt road. Jeremiah emerged from the maze, he was shirtless presumably because he only had time to put on his pants before running after me. His pale skin seemed to glow in the night and his expression was one of unadulterated rage. "Lilith Valeska, get your ass over here right now." He hissed, never once lifting his intense stare. "No!" I yelled, recoiling back into myself as he advanced towards me. Suddenly I heard a car start and we both turned in the direction of the sound. The headlights of the vehicle turned on as the car quickly drove down the street, stopping at me. The passenger door was thrown open to reveal Casandra. "Get in! Hurry!" She yelled and I looked back at Jeremiah across the street. His expression had changed from anger to one of hurt. "Please don't do this Lilly. You promised me..." He pleaded, but I had already made my choice. I felt hot tears slide down my cheeks. How long had I been crying? "I'm sorry." I whispered before getting inside the car and slamming the door shut. Casandra quickly drove away and I could see Jeremiah standing in the middle of the street, watching as I left him. I felt overcome with emotion, it had been such a long time since I had been away from him. Even in this state, I was still accustomed to his presence. Never in a thousand years would I have thought that I would leave him. But things were different now, he was a murderer and a monster. Nonetheless I sobbed as we sped down the street. I expected him to come after us in his car but he never showed. I wasn't sure if I was relieved or hurt that he had seemingly given up on me. Perhaps that was how he felt now as he had proven that he did have emotions even after his transformation. Once I regained my composure enough to talk, I looked at Casandra. "Your dad-" I started but then she held her hand up. "It wasn't your fault... Don't worry about it." She cut in coldly and I felt my heart sink. "I really am so sorry..." I said softly, just wanting someone on my side. "Thanks." She responded curtly as we finally reached the city. Since Jeremiah's bombs, the place had transformed. There was no power, and the streets were crawling with criminals as they had overthrown Gotham. We were trapped on an island of a city, with only few police who were brave enough to stay. We pulled in to what looked like Casandra's house. It all seemed ironic to me. Casandra had been the last person I would have expected to help me, especially harbor me at her house. If someone had told me on my first day at St. Ignatius that this is where I would end up a few years later I would have laughed in their face. Her house was, fittingly, very luxurious and large. There were candles and flowers set out around her house along with pictures of her father and notes from people who cared for him. I followed Casandra and she passed the shrines quickly, taking me inside. Her mom was at the table with a few rugged looking men. They all turned their attention towards me as we entered. The two men approached me and I looked to Casandra confused. She went over to her mother who was sitting down, a tissue in her hand and her eyes tear soaked. She placed her hands on her mothers shoulders comfortingly before taking a deep breath and looking up at me. "She's all yours boys, I delivered her to you as promised. Now you better hold up your end of the deal and kill Jeremiah for what he has done to my family." She revealed and my breath caught in my throat. My mind was spinning and I stared at her dumbly. "Casandra?" I asked. "I'm sorry Lilly... But the only way to get to him, is you." She stated and I turned to the two men, ready for a fight. I swung a punch at the first guy but he caught my fist, his own hand wrapping around my throat. I kneed him in the crotch, successfully freeing myself but I had forgotten about his partner behind me. His partner picked me up and threw me up against the dinning room table. I heard Casandra's mother let out a gasp as my body rolled over the table before hitting the wall with a loud thud, knocking me clean out. I had made a mistake leaving Jeremiah, as I was not free. I was once again captured, but this time as bait for my husband's demise. I was living in my worst nightmare.