Chapter 25: The Maniax

I was speechless. I held Jeremiah tighter with one arm, my opposite hand running through his hair comfortingly as he buried his head in my neck. My heart was breaking for him. "My uncle called... Jerome tried to frame it on someone else but eventually he openly admitted to it." Jeremiah explained. "I'm so sorry Jeremiah..." I comforted. After a moment he suddenly pulled away. "I knew that he was a killer! If I hadn't of gotten out when I did he would have killed me too!" He panicked, pacing back and forth. He stilled for a second and his fists clenched. "Jerome must be stopped, before anyone else gets hurt. He needs to die." He declared, and I could hear the venom in his voice. Cold Jeremiah was back and I approached him cautiously, wrapping my hand over his clenched fist and hugging him from behind. "Shhh..." I soothed and eventually his tense body relaxed. "I just can't believe she's gone..." He whimpered and I placed kisses on his back. "I know... Where is Jerome now?" I asked softly, knowing that his emotions were on a hair trigger. "They deemed him insane and sent him to Arkham Asylum... I hope he rots." He spat out and we sat there for a few moments in silence gently swaying from side to side. "Come on, let's go sit down." I offered, pulling away from him and grabbing his hand. He followed as I lead him to the couch in his living room and sat us down. I cuddled up next to him, whispering reassurances in his ear and placing light kisses on his check and neck. He seemed to diffuse some and eventually Ecco came in and joined us. "I ordered your favorite food. It should be here any minute." She said and I smiled at her gratefully. "Thank you, Ecco." Jeremiah said, staring straight ahead into nothing yet there seemed to be a vivid image dancing in his eyes. I spent the night with him, making sure he felt comforted and supported. I knew the pain of loss all too well and it hurt me to see him so sad. He must have been very close to his mother. The next day he seemed to be in slightly better spirits, but there was this distance about him. This sadness that followed him as I would expect from someone in grief. I decided to go get him some ice cream, remembering the tubs I went through during my brother's passing. I took his car this time, knowing full well he wasn't going anywhere. Luckily it was the weekend and I didn't have any classes to go to so I could give Jeremiah my full attention. Once I reached the local grocery store I made my way inside and to the ice cream section. I grabbed a tub of Neapolitan ice cream. It was his favorite because it consisted of the three greatest flavors: strawberry, chocolate and vanilla. I went to check out when I heard the volume of the various TVs hanging from the ceiling turn up. "Attention Gotham! This is an urgent live broadcast! It has been reported that six inmates from Arkham Asylum have escaped and are now wreaking havoc on civilians! Among them are Richard Sionis, Aaron Helzinger, Barbra Keen, Robert Greenwood, Arnold Dobkins, and Jerome Valeska." The news reporter said and I stopped listening. Jerome Valeska, now murderer, was free. I felt nauseous as I quickly checked out then hurried out of the store and made my way towards the parking lot. Of course the only place to park in the busy streets of Gotham were public parking spaces and the closest one just so happened to be two blocks away. I felt my phone buzzing in my pocket but I decided to ignore it as I fast walked down the sidewalk. I began to notice people were passing me, running and screaming. I turned around to see my worst fear come to life. Jerome and his posey of criminals were just two buildings behind me, picking out people from the crowd and tossing them into a van that was recklessly driving beside the sidewalk. I froze for a second as everything around me seemed to happen in slow motion. Jerome had a gun in his hand, still wearing the striped uniform from the asylum. He gazed through the crowd to find his next victim. His eyes fell on me and my heart stopped, the bag with the ice cream falling from my hands in shock. The buzz of my phone persisted but I was in no position to answer it. I willed my legs to start moving as he began striding over to me. "I remember you!" He called as I began backing away. "Why don't we pick up where we left off?" He said as a sinister smile spread across his face, raising his gun at me. My instincts finally kicked in and as he moved towards me I began running away. His pace matched mine and pretty soon we were in a full on sprinting match. Thankfully I had a head start, but I wasn't sure that would give me much of an advantage. I ran as fast as I could, trying not to run in a straight line as he fired shots at my feet. I heard his maniacal laughter behind me, clearly loving the chase. I, on the other hand, was mortified as people who were running around me began to fall because of shots that were meant for me. I didn't even have time to look and mourn the innocent who were slain because I knew if I looked back Jerome would shoot me. I was almost to the parking lot but my legs were beginning to feel like jelly from the exertion. My adrenaline propelled me forward however. I refused to die like this.

Hope you guys like this update! I love how anxious you guys are getting for more chapters which I love because I'm anxious to keep writing! Also what should Lilly's profession be once she's out of college? I want her to be equally to Jeremiah in terms of intelligence in a field of study. This will help later in the story trust me, let me know your guys's thoughts!
-m