Peridot x gem!reader

A/N: THIS IS ONE LONG BOI

(Y/N)= your name/your gem name

"And you'll be there how long?" Peridot asked,
"It should only take a few weeks, I'll be back before you know it, I promise." You smiled, reassuring her.
"You better be right about this. N-not that I'll miss you, b-but there are many projects I want to talk about with you, and if you were to disappear on Earth, I'd be very mad about it." You laughed, and looked around, checking for any other gems, before putting a hand on Peridot's shoulder. "Of course you won't miss me," you winked, "and I'll definitely miss you, but hey, we've got that telepathic link I established to keep in touch. You better use it!"

Peridot blushed, but made no movements whatsoever to remove your hand from her shoulder. "I will, but you know we can't use it around others..." She then proceeded to look around nervously. "I won't keep you here any longer, you have a mission to accomplish. Just, don't get defected once on Earth." You assured her that there was nothing to worry about, gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze before letting her go and waving goodbye.

Your relationship with Peridot was somehow... Complicated. You weren't a couple, seeing how inter-gem relationships were frowned upon here on Homeworld, but you definitely were more than friends. Peridot seemed to be aware of this, yet even with your telepathic abilities, you couldn't exactly see her thoughts on you two. Was she ashamed? Was she okay with it? Did she think as much of you as you thought of her? You couldn't know, since she did a pretty good job at hiding that part of her thoughts.

This mission you were sent on was the first one you had off Homeworld since you and Peridot grew closer, and it scared you. Anything could happen during your trip. Peridot could find someone else to replace you, she could get hurt, sent on a long assignment herself, or you could get stuck somewhere in space, maybe even on Earth. But you tried to overlook all the negativity, thinking to yourself that you can still speak to her via the link you made between her gem and yours. The goal of that link was that you could project a hologram of her through your gem, and be able to communicate without being monitored by Homeworld. With all the plans the two of you made, there was no way you would get caught, by any sense of the word.

The ship made it safely to Earth, and you had many opportunities to speak with Peridot. During those conversations, you clearly noticed that she did look like she missed you, even though she tried to hide it. It always made you smile, knowing that she cares about you. No one suspected a thing.

The tricky part was to get the ship to land without drawing too much attention to yourselves. Your crew didn't know what kind of species lived on Earth, and if they were any threat. With a lot of difficulty, you made it, and the last step before being able to return home was to check on the Cluster.

...that part of the plan did not go too smoothly.

Before you could even head towards its direction, a group of rogue gems caught your crew. It appeared to be a fusion, a Pearl, a defective Amethyst and... A Rose Quartz. Actually, scratch that. When you looked closely, and payed attention to her gem placement, you soon realized that this was THE Rose Quartz, from the Crystal Gems. The one that shattered Pink Diamond.

The rebels easily managed to stop your team, before obliterating their physical forms, one by one, you being the last in line. In an attempt to save yourself and save a small chance of being able to see Peridot again, you surrendered.

Rose Quartz seemed to have a soft side, which you didn't hear about back on Homeworld. She spared you, and had you promise to dedicate your loyalty to Earth and only Earth. You agreed to her terms, and she accepted you, even if her colleagues (she called them 'friends') disagreed with her decision.