Onyx

She was sitting in her office when her mate suddenly barged in, he looked her straight into the eyes but said nothing, his eyes were swirling with color. Chocolate dancing with gold, hints of onyx scattered around it, they were captivating her, luring her in to their depths. She knew his wolf was surfacing and the human was fighting for dominance, but to no avail his wolf won.

"My actions the other day were reckless and uncalled for, I should've been the bigger person and not let his taunting get to me, you being away and me not knowing where you were drove me — us crazy. Then he came here, I was already at the edge when there were rogues caught. And his words only added. You running was entirely my fault too, your question just caught me off guard, I couldn't speak but believe me, the wolf side was howling with joy, it just didn't translate well with the human side. And now it's my turn to ask you if you still want to move in together. I understand if you don't.." his rambling was cut with a growl coming from her "Do know what we have in common? We ramble on when we're talking to each other, but when we talk to others we just give one liners" she snickered at her observation while shaking her head

"Yes, I still want to move in with you. And I accept your apology. And I understand the consequences of my actions too, I should've never left the pack." She finished. He was smiling brightly at her. And Goddess did she love that smile.

She was was thinking hard about everything she'd done in the past to deserve such a mate like him. She was falling for him, like a shooting star travelling a million miles an hour. He was the moon, enticing and mysterious. And all she wanted to do was explore his being to it's very depths. His strong gravity pulling her closer and closer. She was captivated by him, his grace, his persona, his everything. His presence raging the tides within her. His light guiding her through everything. She could look at him all the time and never cease to be amazed by him. He was addicting and comforting and she and her wolf worships him

Her thoughts were interrupted when he cleared his throat. He began telling her about his punishment, he was on cleaning duty in the training room and he also had to maintain the weapons. Everybody dreaded the job, that's why her gamma choose that as a punishment. And to top it all off she also made him do the paper work she didn't like doing. He wasn't complaining though, he knew these were the consequences to his actions.  But still he was counting the days, he wanted the 50 days to end.

She laughed at his stories, and began telling some of hers too. She told him where she went and how her family was. He became curious as to why she didn't live with them but decided to drop it. Yet, she felt his emotions and decided to tell him.

"This isn't my family's pack.
Two years ago my brother got a call from the Council about this pack, they were concerned about the Alpha's misbehaviour and the well-being of the pack so they wanted to send him. When I heard, I urged them to send me. At first they didn't believe I could do it, but when I insisted they relented.

The Alpha's family were actually friends with mine, I already knew the story. the alpha lost his mate, and he lost himself. His pups also died in the rouge attack that's why he had nothing else to live for. That was why it all went downhill. He spent the pack money on worthless things. He paraded whores here and there. He left the Beta in-charge all the time but there was only so much he could do. The Beta was Alex' father. I've met him before too, this pack's alpha and beta family always used to visit mine and that's how Alex and I became best friends. And, I always used to visit too, I had fond memories of the Alpha family.

But, when I came back it was the exact same day he finally snapped. He challenged me, he said some words and my wolf was ready to kill. I accepted and won, but I didn't think it through. I now had a pack to lead. That day, two years ago changed my life. And here we are now."

He nodded after her story, he thought about how much she amazed him. Once again proving to be intelligent, cunning, and strong. It was as if she could handle everything that was thrown at her. He stared in awe at her, these moments of silent appreciation always made him happy.

They sat there doing paper work and sharing stories throughout the whole afternoon. They revelled in the presence of each other, treasuring the simple joys of having a mate.

Dinner that day was uneventful, and she found herself sitting outside and drinking wine. Looking up and observing constellations, thinking about anything and everything. Then, he caught her eye. He was walking towards her, observing her. When he neared, he sat beside her.

After a moments silence he asked what she was doing there. "Talking to Orion" was her simple reply while looking at the constellation. He looked at her, then looked at the constellation above. Then, she began to tell him about the story of Orion the hunter. She always loved the story. She viewed it as how someone can make mistakes, that sometimes people leave us forever because of our choices in life, that it's normal. Orion being there was also a portrayal of loving someone even though they're not with us, it was a statement about eternal love, an I will love you until the universe ceases to exist. Though the story is problematic at some points and there were many versions, she still loved it and romanticised it.

Then she began telling him why she talked to Orion in the first place "When I became the Alpha, I had no prior training. Although I had Alpha blood and I helped my brother I still didn't know what to do. So Alex, Kent, and my father insisted on "training" me. Alex taught me about the workings of the pack. My father taught me about the basic alpha duties. Kent taught me the things they don't teach you in Alpha Camp. It took us a month to finish the transition. After everything was done, I was alone. Alex had a mate, Kent had a pack, and my father had to go home. One day I found myself sitting beneath the stars while drinking wine. I noticed Orion and somehow began talking to him. Now it's become a habit whenever I needed to think"

"I'm here now, why don't we develop a habit of talking to each other over wine?" He said suggestively. She merely responded with a chuckle. Then he asked "what were you talking to him about?" She paused for a while, then told him "we're going to a council meeting tomorrow. I absolutely hate those meetings." He chuckled and then reassured her the he'd be by her side all throughout the event.