Smoke

She woke up to white walls — infact white everything. It was bright, so clean, it was blinding. The room reeked of antiseptic, a tell tale sign she was in a hospital. Then she noticed the beeping sounds of monitors beside her bed.

As she got up the door suddenly opened. A man in a white coat and a woman in all white entered. They were surprised that she was already awake. But the nurse said nothing and proceeded to check the monitors.

"It's good to see you awake, I know you have questions but first let me ask" the man said

"Do you know what day is it today?" She shook her head in response, she didn't know.

"Do you know where you are?" But she her answer was the same

"May I ask what your full name is?" Then it hit her. She didn't even know who she was. The doctor saw the panic in her eyes and immediately responded. He calmed her down, and proceeded to explain to her that she was brought to the hospital because she got into an accident. It was the probable cause of her disorientation and that he feared she could have amnesia but they still had to run tests to make sure.

Just as they were leaving she opened her mouth and asked "How long have I been here?". The doctor shook his head and said something that shocked her. She'd been in a coma for a month.

——

It was already mid afternoon, the rays of gold seeping through the window. Her insides were stirring. Nostalgia seeped through her being but she couldn't place her finger on what it was.

The door opening caught her attention, a guy came running in to hug her. Looking at the man infront of her, she barely recognised him. Brown eyes with brown hair to match, they looked like they were black but if you looked close enough you'd see that it was a rich chocolate, the rays of light reflected on him and everything came alive. His hair turned into a beautiful gold, and his eyes shone like there was no tomorrow, specks of gold and brown dancing right infront of her. Something about him was familiar, and everything inside her was screaming at her to remember who he was.

He looked at her with love and admiration, but she couldn't help but see the malice behind his facade. Her gut was telling her something was wrong. But she didn't give it away, because she knew this was her ticket to know who she was and what was going on.

Behind him an elderly couple walked in. They had an aura of warmth around them but still, something wasn't quite right — and she knew it very well.

"Honey, I'm glad to see you awake" said the elderly man. She only gave him a weak smile. She didn't know these people but she didn't want to alert them. But to her dismay, the doctor walked in and explained to them her situation. They turned their heads towards her and looked at her with pity. This only made her skin crawl. She didn't like those looks, something in the back of her mind was sparked, but she didn't have a clear image. It was just a whirlwind of colours, emotions, and oddly, scents.

They had explained to her that they were her parents, and the brown eyed man was her boyfriend/fiancé. She only frowned at the new information.

"Olivia, honey" olivia? Was Olivia my name? She thought to herself. It felt different, and she didn't feel a connection to it. But she just nodded and accepted it.

She spent the whole afternoon listening to their stories about her. Some of them felt familiar, but mostly she felt as if it wasn't her. There was something missing, something that didn't add up.

The emptiness she felt was unbearable, like a part of her was taken away. Something she couldn't put her finger on. The void inside was debilitating, and she couldn't focus on anything but it.