24. You know what?

That backfired. How was I supposed to know that was going to be their response? I never even knew they agreed to that annulment until today. In fact, every decision-making has only been done by Lucy's parents themselves.

"Damn this.." For now, all I could think of doing was to punch something. Something I can set my anger on and let it all out. Nothing seems to come to mind, except the walls outside of the house. So I went there to get myself some privacy and room away from my parents for a bit. Taking all of this is too much for me to handle. I can literally feel my head spinning.

The phone inside my pocket began to ring. I pulled it out and waited for it to stop; I knew it was Lucy calling. Who else would it have been?

When the call ended, I checked and saw a couple of messages she sent to me all night just a few minutes ago while we were discussing about what's going to happen to us. With still on-going sending messages on the way while I was reading the first ones.

Luce
natsu, please answer my calls. let's talk about this whole thing for a sec. i think talking rn is the best way to stop. or else you'll only get angrier and feel more distant from me.

Luce
it's 12am, are you going to sleep at your parents' house? :( at least tell me you are, i've been worried sick about you for the past hour you've been gone. .

Luce
maybe i don't have the right to be demanding and worried rn abt you and i know u deserve some space from me but at least tell me u're okay and only then will i stop bombarding u with messages..

Luce
clearly, it's not going to happen, so i'm going to explain my side. the night i had dinner at my parents' place, ren was there and claimed me as his fiancée when in fact we haven't even been annulled yet. (hope u're reading this) i challenged him by telling him he would have to go through me before getting my hand in marriage. it may sound weird but

Luce
i'm just so tired always having to be the damn damsel in distress who needs saving when clearly i don't. i wanted to show them/him how independent i was and how i wasn't going to let anyone be the boss of me and such

Luce
u know how controlling my parents can be; they actually didn't speak the entire evening when ren came into the picture. i was so determined to tell you the moment i got home, however seeing u so sick and happy and caring and i just- i love you so much just o hurt you w that kind of news.

Luce
i wanted to keep the moment alive between us, just for one last night. after the party would be the best timing. not exactly what u can call "best" but u know what i mean. . ren's appearance wasn't in the plan! i promise.

Luce
i called him and told him to stop bothering and stalking me and then that's when you two appeared at the same time. i'm sorry. for the last time before i annoy you, i'm gravely sorry. i'm in so much pain rn, seeing u leave me like that, to find comfort in smone else's home.

Luce
you're my home, natsu. i need you. i want you. and i love you. i really do. i love you. you will always be my one and only husband and i will always, always be your wife.

Don't be fooled with her words, but don't be harsh enough to turn away from the chance to let her explain. When I grabbed ahold of my phone, I actually had to think twice before replying. I was hanging out by myself on the balcony and stared at her messages.

natsu
i love you too but idk luce u hurt me too much rn i can't even think straight anymore..|

And yet another deleted message.

Lucy would’ve known how I could cope and reply. My parents’ decision didn't help either. What the fuck am I going to do now?

Lucy’s P.O.V.

     Levy and Erza came over when I called for help. I’m beginning to sound like a friend who uses her friends when she’s in need of it. I needed company for the night. Natsu is gone for who knows how long and it’s all my fault. Of course I know it is.

“Lucy, let's just sleep for the night, okay? I may not know your relationship with Natsu--your marriage that much, but maybe he won't be coming home tonight.” Levy went and unrolled her sleeping bag onto the floor of the living room. I told them we could share our bed, but they didn’t like the idea of sleeping where we made love. 

“It’s all going to be okay,” Erza started, “He just needs some time. You just told us you had a hard time telling him and that you were planning on telling him tonight. Things don't always go our way and that's fine.” She says as she keeps on caressing my back while I was trying to keep my tears in.

“I don't want to lose him. I'm sorry you guys for making you do this. I really am. I feel like I've been neglecting you two lately..”

“No, you aren't.” Levy waved a hand, but soon took her words back. “But yeah, I admit I do feel a bit like that. Why does it matter tonight, right? It’s Christmas season and of course, we have our own lives and dates to deal with for this. It’s okay. Everything will turn back to normal once school starts.”

“What she said,” Erza pointed at her. “I don't mean to be snoopy, but could you tell us what happened and why you're married?”

“Oh, right. I owe you two this story.” The three of us sat on the sofa and I had brought out my wedding ring for them to see. I started with how my parents called me down to the coffee shop, just so they can reveal the news of me being engaged and all to a stranger. Plus the fact that I met Natsu as a self-centered jerk in school. Then met him again for dinner and realized we were classmates. Not sure if it was part of their plan for that, but either way, we kept the wedding a secret. Nobody in the school knows. Well, I had to tell Levy that time since she’s my bestfriend. She deserved to know. (Sorry, Erza). I also told both of them (Erza and Levy) how my first kiss didn't happen on our wedding day, but with a donut Natsu was making me eat. And that’s basically everything I want to tell about the marriage and being Mrs. Dragneel.

“Wow, that was too long of a story, but how is life being married?”

“Ah, well, it’s great, I guess? I love Natsu. I really am happy I met him. But the problem lies with my parents. They forced me to do this in the first place and turns out they’re making me marry someone again just because they have this huge debt they couldn't pay on time.” Just thinking about Ren and the thought of walking down the aisle, to be forced to say ‘I do’ again to another stranger— it’s just all too traumatizing for me.

“And here I thought, you were living the dream. I’m sorry,” Levy felt the need to empathize, but I insisted it was okay. That she didn’t know.

“This turned out to be heavier than what I had in mind.” Erza clears her throat, trying to adjust her sitting position on the couch. “I say you run off with Natsu! What harm can it do, right? You two can live someplace else where they won't find you and live happily.”

“Then we’d have no money. He'd be forced to work, not that I won't work for him, too. But I don't want him going through such lengths just for me. I want my parents to change their mind.”

“Lucy, don't you see? You literally just told us your parents are hard ball! They won't be sending off this Ren guy back to London, all because you won't marry him.” It’s more stressful than I thought.

“Even if I tell him I want to run away, I'm sure he wouldn’t want to. Not in his state right now. He's not even texting me back even after my explanation.” He's mad at me. I know it. Probably won't be coming home 'til school starts.

As if on cue, my phone vibrated, receiving a message from Natsu.

Natsu:
Luce
I won't be coming home for a few days.
My parents want us to file a divorce.

My heart dropped. He didn't bother calling or explaining why. Just when I was trying to get ahold of him, Levy had to ask:

“Soo you two didn't use condom in those two tries?”