29. What Caused It

[ Ren ]

The next morning, I ended up staring at something I had long forgotten. The picture of my ex. The one. . .I let out of my hands.

I got up and showered, staring at the mirror while brushing my teeth. Surely, the Heartfilia’s wouldn't know about my old private affiliations with other people. That's impossible. Father obviously shut those scandals down and made sure we never happened.

Same old man I know.

The Heartfilia’s daughter was in sight when I got to the dining table. She was stuffing her face, clearly unaware I was nearing the room.

"Good morning there."

"Oomf—" Lucy swallowed what seemed to be what she was trying to chew and break down first but was pressured when she saw me. "G–Good morning!" And wiped her mouth with the table napkins my maid provided for her.

"Go ahead and eat all you'd like." Meanwhile, I was tucking in one napkin on my lap and the other on my shirt like a bib. "I had them specially made for you."

"T-Thanks.. and, sorry for last night."

I shake my head, rejecting the unnecessary apology. "It’s okay. I was actually wondering what happened."

Her face said it all; stunned and flustered. Probably the time of the month, so I won’t be questioning any further if she were to say that’s the case. So instead, I directed my attention down on my food.

"Oh. . .right. . .that."

"You don't have to tell me if it’s too private." I understand perfectly how embarrassing it would be for her in that state.

She breathed easily. "Really? Okay."

"Just know that the servants can get you anything you’ll ever need for your. . .girl problem."

[ Lucy ]

Not sure what he meant by that, but hopefully it’s not what I think it is. Either way, I was thinking of starting a conversation with him. Day 5 begins.

"Say, Ren, if I am going to marry you," which I’m not. "How about opening up about yourself?"

"Do I. . have to do that while you're eating?" Oh, so he doesn't like people who chew with their mouth open. Huh. I still went on with it. And added a little exaggeration.

"What? What's wrong with— oh, oh gosh, sorry. I made a mess on your table." Okay, maybe I went too far. I'm destroying my image.

"Come sit with me here, instead."

"Okay. . ."

Ren stood up after patting his mouth a few times then walked up to the terrace of his house. Not good; I felt something wrong in my stomach. But I went up there anyway. Sitting beside him.

"I'm asking you as someone. . .who needs a listener." That's what bothered me. Now I'm more curious where this is going to lead.

"My father was a lot like yours. He pulls my strings, I'm his puppet. He's rather worried I won't be able to take over the company seriously since I'm not married yet." Whoa. Drama alert. I feel like he's about to reveal a huge secret.