30. What It Takes

[ Natsu ]

"We're so sorry for the intrusion, and thank you for your time." Mom and Mrs. Heartfilia still lowered their heads at someone as horrible as that woman. She could never understand how we feel of having Lucy held under that bastard's command.

Meanwhile, I was trying to think of a plan myself. Whereas they don't involve our parents. Any more of this, I won't be able to take it.

"Natsu, come here. Ms. Blendy might see you-"

Mom was trying to pull me by the arm, but I persisted. "Stop being formal to her. Not when she's so prideful." But of course, that, despite it being the right response to a jerk like him, is shunned and frowned upon by our parents.

Later that night, I sneaked out to come to her house again. This time, she answered the door, wearing only a silky bath robe and sucking an ice-cream pop, trying to look aesthetic to my face. "You came back? Get out."

"Wait- I'm here to. . ." I kneeled down on both of my knees and looked up to her from my position, "plead. For Lucy. I love her and I'm going to need your help getting her back."

"You want me to cast a distraction with you so both of them get overly jealous of us?" I shook my head at that pointless idea.

"No. They're not animals." I mean, sure, Lucy has had lots of jealous episodes along with me, too, but it won't help if we're dealing with a mature man like Ren. From what I see. "I need you to talk to him."

"Funny how teenagers still think like little kids, there's nothing free in this world anymore."

"I'm willing to pay you with anything." The usual line when it comes to desparation. My life is on the line. I'm going to have to put out my everything out here to help myself.

The way she stopped her track before turning back to look at me was beyond creepy, "Anything?" All of a sudden, she took back her words and walked away from me. "Forget it. I want you to leave."

I hold on to her hand (a/n: y'all better not attack) and knelt down on my knees to plead, "Please. I'm desperate."

♥️

[ Lucy ]

After what Ren told me before about waiting for my answer to be his pretend wife, I'm not so sure I'd want to do that for him. After all he's done to me, Natsu and my family. Especially, my relationship with Natsu. Things are starting to fall apart between us even though we just made up from a previous fault of mine.

Anyway, Ren was sitting outside in the middle of the garden, relaxing, while I was still caught up with what he had asked me to do.

All of a sudden (and I didn't breathe a word), Ren called me out. "I'm not saying you should immediately decide now. I'm giving you time. I apologize if it pressured you," His apology is the least of his worries and of this issue. "May I have you accompany me for tea, though?"

I went along with this, rubbing my hands together to warm myself up through my arms. Unintentionally, he was bringing his coat towards me, to which I strongly declined him to do, but he insisted like the stubborn man he is. "January is right around the corner. School will be starting soon."