Chapter 5 - Rose [UPDATED]

"You've got this spell on me... I don't know what to believe"

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was that it felt like someone was pounding a sledgehammer against my skull.

The second thing I noticed was that there was an arm wrapped around me.

Fuck.

I pushed myself up, jerking out of the gentle hold only to be shocked by the cool air that stung my chest. My bare chest. Squeaking in panic, I pulled the silk sheet up around me just as I heard a noise from the person laying next to me. My heart plummeting, I turned my head to face the horrible, ghastly truth and found myself staring into the grey eyes of Scorpius Malfoy.

Merlin. What had I done? I tried to think back to last night, but it all went blurry after leaving the Three Broomsticks. I remembered only the vaguest flashes: my hands in his hair; his lips on my neck; his hands everywhere. Heavy breathing and soft moans. Combined with the scene that now presented itself, that was enough - enough to tell me that things had gone much too far.

Swallowing hard, I kept my gaze on the blond boy. As he pushed himself up in the bed, he watched me somewhat cautiously. It seemed like he was waiting for me to say something, but I kept my mouth shut. What did one say, after something like this? I didn't know. I'd never needed to know. Now... I wasn't sure I could have spoken, even if I did know what to say.

Eventually, he must have realized I didn't intend to speak. He ducked his head and said, "Are you... feeling alright?"

I wasn't sure if I should be moved, that he was concerned for my well being, or annoyed that he hadn't immediately addressed the elephant in the room. I pursed my lips and replied, "I've been better," in a rather chilly tone.

Malfoy winced, leaning his head against the backboard of the four-poster bed we'd somehow acquired. "Are you angry?" he said, in a tentative voice.

I let out a slightly choked laugh. "What, angry that I apparently got completely sloshed and hooked up with a notorious fuckboy? Why would I be?" I hadn't even thought about being angry until he brought it up, but... of course I was. How could I not be? I'd spent years building a flawless reputation. Living up to every expectation of perfection. And now... it was gone. Gone, because of this boy.

He winced again. "Rose... it wasn't like that. I mean, it was, or at least, that statement isn't false, exactly, but... this was not a... a casual hookup, okay? You mean something to me-"

"Save it," I snapped, shaking off the remnants of sleep's reverie. "Don't try to pull that bullshit on me. I know what you are, and I never should have gone along with the date in the first place. You probably had this planned all along, didn't you? Drawing me in, faking affection so you could brag to the whole school that you'd fucked the Gryffindor good girl. You're pathetic, you know that? Utterly sad."

He had the nerve to look wounded. "None of that is true, Rose. Not a single word of it. I would never-"

"Stop pretending, Malfoy. I don't want to hear it. Now turn around so I can get dressed."

The blond boy looked ready to protest, but my glare must have convinced him it would be a bad idea. He let out a deep sigh and turned sullenly away from me.

Feeling extremely self-conscious, I slipped out from under the sheets and stepped onto the hardwood floor, noticing as I did so that my whole body felt sore. Damn him. I stooped to pick up the stupid green dress from where it had apparently been tossed, and as I tugged it on, relieved to cover my skin, I realized my panties were nowhere to be found. Biting my lip, I glanced back at Malfoy's slumped shoulders. "Hey," I sighed, "are my underpants somewhere over there?"