Chapter 36 - Rose

When Scorpius came down from Lucy’s room, he wore a fraction of a smile.

“How’d it go?” I asked softly.

“Good,” he said, voice full of relief. “Really good. She’s… well, I don’t think she’s determined to die. I told her about some of my past, and I think I got through. She seems to like the idea of hanging out with me or whatever.”

“Did… did she say anything about… about why?” This stammered inquiry came from my aunt.

Scorpius shook his head. “I thought it best not to pressure her too much. There’ll be plenty of chances for her to tell you, or me, but she’ll do it when she wants to and not before. I know how it goes.”

Aunt Audrey managed a frail smile. “You’re probably right. I’m going up to her now, so you two may stay or go as you please. I hope to see you both again before too long. And thank you, Scorpius, for talking to Lucy.”

“It’s my pleasure, Mrs. Weasley.”

My aunt kissed my cheek and murmered a thanks in my ear before ascending the stairs to return her full attention to her daughter.

I sighed. “Poor woman… she hasn’t had it easy.”

“Few people do.”

“Always the optimist,” I said dryly, shaking my head at Scorpius.

“It’s true, though. You don’t meet many people who can truly say they’ve had it easy. Life is a very cruel thing.”

I tilted my head at Scorpius. The comment wasn’t peculiar in and of itself, but there was something foreign and concerning in the way he’d said it. “What’s got you in such a negative mood?”

He wouldn’t meet my eyes. “Nothing. Nothing at all. I’m just tired.”

Frowning, I tried to read the strange tone of his voice, but I discerned nothing. “Perhaps we oughn’t go out tonight, if you’re so tired. We could stay at my house… watch a movie or something.”

The blond boy hesitated. “I’m not that tired. You’ve been looking forward to this; I don’t want to-”

“It’s fine, Scorpius. It’s only a play… Besides, it’ll be in town for months, it’s not the end of the world if we don’t see it tonight. Let’s stay in.”

“Alright,” he sighed. “If you insist.”

“Shall we go, then?” I stood up lightly. “A lovely evening of dim lights and romance awaits.” Feeling mischeivous, I winked.

I thought I saw Scorpius’ jaw clench for just a moment, but I must have imagined it because he was quick to laugh. “I hope you don’t intend on seducing me into watching a dreadful rom com or something of the sort.”

I hummed playfully. “Do you mean to imply that you find me seductive, Mr. Malfoy?”

Rather than playing along as I expected him to, Scorpius looked away. “I meant nothing of the sort, and you know it,” he said crossly.

Sighing, I turned towards the door. Something was certainly bothering him, but I was at a complete loss as to what it might be. He said the talk with Lucy had gone well, and I didn’t doubt that. So what had caused this change in him, between when I’d left him and when he’d returned? I supposed only time would tell.

“Let’s go,” I said softly. And we did.

• • •

Upon reaching my house, supper had already been eaten and cleared away, as we hadn’t been expected home. Mum was quick to inform us, however, that there was plenty of food to be had in the refrigerator if we wanted it. “What do you two intend to do tonight?” she asked, mildly curious.