Chapter 39 - Scorpius

Hey,
I know we haven’t talked, but my grandfather will be gone by the time you get this and it’s not been an easy few days. Nobody in our family is doing too great, and Rose could use your company. I know you’re confused, Scorp, and as far as that goes you’ve got a hard choice to make, but if you care for her at all you’ll come home. 
-Al

I set the note down on my desk, frowning. I’d been meaning to go home for days, but I kept finding excuses not to. There was always another friend to have a drink with or another person to talk to about my research on blood curses. But I knew I’d been putting it off long enough.

Sighing, I looked around the room. I hadn’t really brought anything when I’d fled to Paris, and I didn’t need to bring anything back. Just my wand and myself. It was better, I supposed, to rip the bandage off and go sooner rather than later. I hadn’t planned to meet anyone today, so there was nothing I needed to cancel. 

Well then, that was that. With a last hesitant glance around the bedroom I’d been hiding in for what seemed like forever, I disapparated.

The face that greeted me at the Weasley residence was an unfamiliar one. A curvy twenty-something-year old brunette stared back at me from the doorway, my daughter cradled in her arms.

“Who the hell are you?” I said, perhaps a bit rudely.

The woman raised an eyebrow. “I could ask you the same question.”

“Oh, for Merlin’s sake, I’m Willow’s father! And I’d like you to explain what you’re doing with my child.”

“I’m the babysitter.”

Of course she was. I really didn’t need to ask the question, and certainly not so harshly, but what can I say? I may have been a bit stressed about seeing Rose after the way I’d run out on everything. Wincing, I ran a hand through my hair. “Of course. Please excuse my manners; I’m not at my best at the moment. You don’t mind if I come in, do you?”

The young woman smiled slightly. “You are forgiven, and welcome to come inside. I’m Danielle, by the way.”

“Scorpius,” I replied, offering my hand. “Nice to meet you.”

“You too,” she said as I stepped in, shutting the door behind me. “I must admit I was curious as to your absence. But, pardon me, I shouldn’t ask… I do think it’s good that you’re here now; the family needs taken care of more than Willow does these days.”

I nodded absently. “Do you know when they’ll be home?”

“Not exactly. The last I saw of any of them was Mrs. Granger-Weasley, who was here just for a few minutes early this morning. She said Mr. Weasley’s father - I assume you know the situation? - was expected to pass soon and she couldn’t be sure when they’d be home, but surely before suppertime.”

I glanced at the clock on the wall of the family room, which read 3:45. “I see. Would you mind terribly if I hung around here until they come home?”

Danielle shook her head. “That’s fine with me. I’m sure you’d like to spend some time with Willow.”

“Yes, certainly.” I took my daughter out of the babysitter’s arms, kissing her forehead softly. She giggled in the adorable way that babies do. Salazar, I had missed her these past weeks. I thought about my last conversation with Al, and how worried I’d been that if I explained my changing feelings to Rose she wouldn’t let me continue to be a part of Willow’s life. Anything else, I knew I could take… but losing my daughter was unthinkable.

Around 4:30, I was sitting on the floor absorbed in playing with Willow when I heard the front door open, followed by a low murmur of voices in the hall. Danielle was in the kitchen making herself a snack, so it was just me and the baby in the family room. I only had a moment to prepare myself before someone walked in - as it happened, Rose herself.