CHAPTER SIXTEEN

~~~
KINGS LANDING
~~~

DAHLIA YAWNED AS SHE ROCKED ON TULIP

DAHLIA YAWNED AS SHE ROCKED ON TULIP. Edric had not been lying when he said they'd be riding into the night. For over two weeks they had rode deep into the darkness, at times, Dahlia swore she could see the faintest glimpse of sunlight before she fell asleep. But it felt like each time she closed her eyes, Edric was waking her back up once more. She wondered how he remained awake for so long, at times, she questioned whether or not he was actually sleep. He seemed to be always noticing when Dahlia was falling asleep on her horse, and always nudging her leg with his foot, jolting her awake.

A few days had passed since the attack, and so far, neither spoke of it. Dahlia remained slightly cautious of whatever came their way, but as the reached Kings Landing, she felt somewhat safer than she did travelling near the Kings Road.
They were in the Kingswood now, less than a mile from Kings Landing. Edric had said that they would travel to the Goldroad, stay in an inn for the night so Dahlia could dress like a proper lady once more so suspicions wouldn't be raised. She had suggested that they don't go towards the Keep together, Edric would escort her through the safest streets before both of them departed, he had surprisingly praised her on the idea.

With her time with Edric, Dahlia wasn't as naive as she once was. She began to understand how malice the world around her really was. Death and decay screamed all around her, she was just to stubborn to listen. But despite how rude Edric could be, she appreciated his company, and small amounts of kindness. And only when they reached the Red Keep did he apologise for his lack of manners, she had accepted his apology and thanked him for his lessons on how their world really was.

They were just outside the Red Keep, on Aegon's High Hill, saying their farewells. Dahlia was dressed in a beautiful red gown that had been stuffed inside one of the larger saddle bags for weeks, she was glad to finally rid herself of the rough spun clothing she had previously worn. They both were on horseback, with Edric looking up at the Red Keep with a shocked look on his face. "I thought it would be bigger," he smirked.

Dahlia laughed, "I thought it'd smell better."

Edric turned his head and beamed at her, "I see my personality has begun wearing off on you."

Dahlia's smile widened, "perhaps it runs in the bloodline?"

The raven-haired boy nodded and grinned. "Maybe it does."

"Will I ever see you again?" Asked Dahlia after a few beats, her voice soft and her eyes boring into Edric's dark ones.

The bastard son shrugged his armoured shoulders. "I'm not sure. But then again, the Gods are cruel, you and I are more than likely to see more of one another." Dahlia shot him a narrowed look, he smiled brightly. "I'm joking, you aren't as bad as I thought you would be."

"You're still rude. But I'm glad you and I met," she responded, holding onto the reigns of Tulip.

Edric smiled and glanced to his chest, the familiar chain and ring sticking out. Dahlia watched as he took hold of the bronze chain, lifted it over his head and held it out for her. She frowned but outstretched her hand, taking the chain into her palm. "I know you are still curious about this, and perhaps one day I'll tell you everything about this chain." He glanced to the chain sadly, but continued his words. "But for now, you will only know what I have told you." He pressed it into her palm.