CHAPTER ELEVEN

~~~
THE STORM QUEEN
~~~

VALENCIA AWOKE WITH THE STRENGTH OF A THOUSAND MEN

VALENCIA AWOKE WITH THE STRENGTH OF A THOUSAND MEN. She could feel the electricity in her veins, the scent of smoke drifting from beneath the Keep of the Stormlands, and the pure fire that rumbled within her belly. She could hear the shuffle of men in their armour, and the small chatter of nervous voices. The purity of the sound drove her to stand on her balcony once more and looked out into the horizon.

Valencia wondered whether this would be the last dawn she would see? Would she live to see sunset or sunrise? Would she live to see her brother and sister again? Would she ever see Robb again?

Her belly still felt hollow at the tempting news from Lilith. Although Valencia did not love him...something inside her still yearned for him, and this distance had all but made the ache for him worse. It was neither physical or hatred, but inside Valencia longed to be at his side again. But she believed they would not reunite for many months yet.

The sunrise was a beautiful orange this day, rising above the ends of the earth and greeting the sky with a happy smile, in which the sky did not return. For days, the sky had remained its unnatural grey, building with heavy clouds becoming swollen with rain. Valencia knew in her heart that the water would spill this day, that the Gods would unleash the storm it had been brewing. Valencia could only hope that she would be victorious this day, and that everything she had done would be worth it.

Before long, she returned to her chambers and looked upon her armour. The same armour Robb had gifted her with.

She felt her heart sting once again at the possible betrayal, but she ignored it and called for Astraea.

The beauty from Volantis came with a mournful face, she knew something Valencia did not. But the Queen did not question it, she wished not to.

Neither said anything while Valencia stripped herself of her nightgown. She said no word, nor hid her naked body as she slipped on a pair of leather pants and a thin tunic, nor when Astraea sat her down and began braiding her hair away from her face.
She took a hefty amount of hair from the front of her hair, braiding it tight to her scalp before bundling it all up in a large bun of ebony hair, the rest of it hang below her shoulders and behind her ears in thick, curly waves.
Valencia rose to her feet once more, allowing Astraea to clip the chainmail around her torso, arms, and thighs. The chest plate came next, connecting at her shoulders before the layered vambraces were attached to her body. The rest of her armour came on swift and quickly, far quicker than Valencia would have liked. And before she knew it, Thunder and Lightning were attached to her hips, Renly's sword to her back, and her crown in her hair.

Thats when fear began to settle in.

In her first battle she had never been so frightened, but in that time she was more focused about earning her Lords respect, and of course she had been joint-ruling at that time. But now, she was alone. There was no one to guide her, all the Lords under her rule could not help her truly, Robb was not there to guide her, not even her own family.