Chapter 12

As soon as I step through my apartment door, I slam it shut behind me and lean back against it, feeling as if I move away then the reporters on the other side will break it down and storm in like an army.

"Oh, hunny," Ava says sympathetically, and as soon as I hear her soothing voice, the tears that I have been holding in for the past week pour down my cheeks and loud sobs rip through my body.

She rushes over to me and pulls me into her arms, rubbing my back in slow circles and rocking me side to side. Normally, I never cry in front of her. I always go straight to my room and lock myself in there before letting out my tears, but today is different. After five entire days of hell, I can't take anymore.

My legs are wobbly as Ava guides me over to the couch, and before I know it, I'm sitting on the soft cushions and have a box of tissue shoved in my hands.

"Ok, first: does this story require ice cream? Or something strong?"

Knowing that she is completely serious, I can't help but laugh through my tears. Shaking my head, I pull out a tissue and blow my nose.

"Neither. I'll be fine," I reassure her, but she just rolls her eyes at me and scoffs.

"I was talking about for me. You don't cry to me, ever. And the fact that you are tells me that some serious shit is happening in your life, so I have to check. Ok, spill."

For a moment, I stare at her as if she is crazy. Leave it to Ava to make someone feel better even when everything else seems to be going wrong.

"Okay, well," I say shakily, and I feel a fresh round of tears forming as I think about the man that is causing me so much heartache, "I've been followed by the paparazzi all week long. They show up at my job, when I go to my car, when I pick up Hope, and they are even following me here to the apartment. I can't get away from them."

Ava grins at me and squeals. "I know! I saw your photo of you and Klay and Hope in a magazine a few days ago. You three look just like a little family!"

My eyes close, and I cover my face with my hands before mumbling quickly.

"Say wha-?"

Sighing, I uncover my face and look at her sadly. "Klay wants to be family, and I...I said no."

Complete and utter silence fills the room, and before I can ask Ava if she is okay...

"Are you freaking kidding me?! KLAY FREAKING THOMPSIN WANTS TO BE WITH YOU AND YOU SAID NO?!?! Are you a certified bonafied nut?!"

My mouth drops open as I stare at Ava in shock, watching as she takes a few deep breaths before slamming her hands down on the couch cushions and standing up.

"Where are you going?" I ask as she grabs her keys and makes her way towards the door.

She turns back to me and glares. "To the liquor store down the street, because I don't have anything strong enough here to keep me from going off on you for making such a stupid decision."

And with that, she slams the door shut behind her, causing me to wince.

Sniffling, I get up and walk into the bathroom, and when I see my reflection in the mirror, I want to throw a rock at it and shatter the damn thing. My eyes are swollen and red and puffy, mascara is running down my cheeks, but most importantly, I look unhappy.

And the worst part is that I did this to myself, with no one else to blame.

Bracing my hands against the sink, I think back on all that transpired this week. Right after I had told Klay to leave me alone, he became cold and distant with me. He didn't say anything when I walked out of the bathroom, didn't stop me when I went to the other room and picked up a sleeping Hope, and he didn't even say goodbye when the taxi came to pick us up.