Chapter 15

"HOW COULD YOU SAY NO?!"

With a sigh, I close my eyes as I sink back into the couch. "First, I didn't say no-..."

"You might as well have! You sure as hell didn't say yes!" Ava screams at me at the top of her lungs, and I barely manage to swallow back the lump in my throat before she continues. "That was the sweetest, most heartfelt confession I have ever seen! And he did it for you during halftime, of his game, and you turned him down!"

"I did not turn him down! All I said was that we need to talk first."

Ava throws her hands up in the air before backing away from me. "You're a real bit-..."

My eyes fly over to Hope, who is sitting wide eyed on the carper watching our exchange while playing with her dolls.

"Ava!" I hiss, my eyes darting over to Hope to give her the hint to watch her mouth.

Instead of finishing her sentence, she flips me off, snatches up her purse and stomps over to the door. "Where are you going?"

"Far away from you! You're officially the biggest idiot on planet earth," she tells me before walking out and slamming the door behind her.

Tears well up in my eyes and I take a deep breath to try to keep my emotions in check, but it is really hard to do when everyone in the world is mad at you.

Shaking my head, I turn on the tv, hoping to find a cheerful cartoon or a comedy to help get my mind off of everything...

...only to see the large headline on the screen 'Klay Thompson Gets REJECTED At Warriors Home Game'. Bile rises up to my throat and I cover my hand with my mouth as I watch the news.

"No one can believe what happened last night. Who knew that Klay Thompson was in love with this woman? I think everyone was under the impression that he was still with Desiree. But that aside, the man does something that you'd never expecr any basketball player to do: proposes to his girl during halftime, in front of all of the fans, with the nicest diamond ring anyone has seen, and what happens? She says no!"

"I did not say no," I choke out, as tears trail down my cheeks silently. Why don't people understand that?

The reporter continued on. "And to make matters worse, after he got rejected, he ended up getting injured in the game!"

A sob rips through my throat as guilt and pain consume me. What does he mean Klay got hurt?

"Poor guy must of been so caught up in his feelings that he never saw Harden coming. According to Coach Kerr, Klay is going to be out for the next few games due to that pulled hamstring."

Unable to hear anymore of their talk, I shut the tv off and curl up on the couch, crying quietly I bask in my misery. When I went to the game last night, I had no idea that Klay was going to propose, especially since the last time we had spoken, he hadn't answered my question. On top of that, he knows that I don't like being in the spotlight, especially not with every single fan's eyes on me when he was asking me something so important.

All I had told in response to his marriage proposal was that we need to talk, because we do. If I'm going to spend the rest of my life with him, then we have to clear the air first about everything. And God, do I want to spend every single day I can with him...

"Mommy, why are you crying?" Hope asks me curiously, and I quickly try to wipe away my tears and put on a small watery smile for her.