Chapter 13

The last person I expect to see when my eyes flutter open is Steph Curry, yet there he sits in a chair beside the bed, grinning at me like the Cheschire Cat. "Mornin' sunshine."

I groan and roll over before pulling the blankets back over my head, closing my eyes as a dizzy spell begins to wash over me and my stomach rumbles uneasily.

He chuckles. "C'mon, Logan, don't you want to know what happened last night?"

"Not really," I mumble, clutching my head and willing the pain to go away. How much did I drink last night?

"According to Ava, four," Steph said, and I wince when the blankets are pulled off of me. Instead of seeing his amused grin, I am met with a glass of water amd a few white pills, which I thank him for before immediately downing them both.

Glancing around the room, uneasiness fills me. "I'm at Klay's, aren't I?"

Steph nods as he takes a seat on the bed next to me and slings and arm around my shoulder. "Yup."

Warily, I look at him, completely surprised that he is treating me so nicely for someone who ripped his best friend's heart out of his chest. "Why are you being so nice to me?"

"Why not?"

My eyes fall down to my lap. "I hurt Klay..."

Tears form in my eyes and I sniffle quietly as I think back the last time I was in this room with Klay, the things that I had said to him and how I had acted. All I want to do is take all of it back, and I don't even know how or where to begin...

"Aww, Logan, don't cry," he cooes, pulling me in closer and rubbing my arm comfortingly, "yeah, he's hurting, but so are you, and you're both my friends. I want you guys to be happy together, but only if that's what you want-..."

"It is what I want!" I tell him desperately, rubbing my eyes to rid them of my tears.

A smirk forms on his lips. "I know."

For a moment, I just stare at him in disbelief before shaking my head and slugging him softly on the arm, causing him to laugh.

"Just tell him how you really feel, Logan," Steph tells me before placing a soft kiss on top of my head and rising from the bed.

Fidgeting with my fingers, I fight a fresh wave of tears. "He doesn't want anything to do with me, Steph. He doesn't care. Look, he isn't even here right now..."

Steph busts out laughing, much to my surprise. How he can find something funny at a time like this...

He wipes his eyes and smiles widely at me. "Logan, you should've seen him last night. You probably don't remember, but...anyways, ask him what happened. Trust me when I say that he cares about you more than...well, everything. And the only reason why he isn't with you right now is cause' I made him go downstairs and get a fresh ice pack for his hand."

My eyes widen in shock, the flutter in my heart hard to ignore. "What happened to his hand?"

Steph just grins and winks at me before opening the door and walking out, closing it behind him.

Leaning back against the headboard, I close my eyes and sift through the fog in my head to try and remember a shred of what happened last night. I remember going to the bar with Ava...drinking...seeing Klay there with Desiree...dancing with a stranger...

Flashback:

Groggily, I opened my eyes and tried to focus on the scene in front of me. There was a loud commotion from just a few feet away, where a few guys looked to be in a scuffle.