Chapter 14

"Are you sure you don't want to come to the game with us tonight?" Ava asks hopefully as she and Seth walk towards the front door.

Holding it open for them, I shake my head and give them a small forced smile. "Positive. I've got work and stuff to do here, so..."

Ava gives me a knowing look but doesn't say anything else as she allows Seth to help her put her coat on. "Fine, but if you change your mind and want to come out later, we'll be at Club Infinity after the game. You should come."

Nodding my head, I wave at the both of them and shut the door once they leave. Leaning back against it, I close my eyes and take a deep shaky breath.

My heart tells me that going to the game is the right thing to do, but my mind tells me that going there is only going to bring me more heartache. If I have to sit there and watch as Desiree cheers for Klay on the sidelines, I would scream.

Maybe if I just go for at least half of it...

"No, Logan! Stay strong," I whisper to myself as I push away from the door and hurry to go busy myself with the dishes. No matter what, I am not going to the game. Absolutely not.

.  .  .

The moment Ava spots me, the largest grin spreads across her face. "You came!"

Yes, against my better judgement, my heart won out over my mind. I stuck all of the dishes im the dishwasher and rushed as quickly as I could to take a shower and get dressed, which was why I was now at the Oracle Arena.

Seth smirks at me. "Couldn't stay away huh?"

Ignoring him, I take my seat next to Ava and am relieved to find that there are five minutes left in the second quarter. The Warriors are in a close match with the Houston Rockets, only leading 52-50. Although I should be watching all of the playsrs, I can't help but focus on one: Klay.

God, he looks so handsome running back and forth, sweat dripping down his ripped body and the determined look on his face. He keeps looking around the arena as if searching for something, and I can't help but wonder who he is looking for.

Probably Desiree.

Slowly, I slump down into my chair as dread fills me. Maybe coming here tonight was a bad idea after all.

Next thing I know, the buzzer sounds, signaling that it is halftime. All of the players and coaches head for the locker rooms, and some of the fans stand up to go and get food or go to the bathroom. Ava, Seth and I sit there and wait patiently to see what the halftime performance is going to be tonight.

"Maybe it'll be Beyonce!" Ava says dreamily, and Seth snorts. I myself can't help but laugh a little. The chances of it being Beyonce are slim to none.

The lights dim, and we all turn our attention to the court as loud cheers fill the arena.
My entire body freezes as I focus on the lone person standing at center court with a microphone in his hand. That is definitely not Beyonce.

"I know you guys have probably heard a lot about me on social media and in the news lately, either because of who I'm taking company with or because of my actions. So tonight, I'm here to set the record straight for everybody," Klay said to everyone in the arena, and fans screamed his name at the top of their lungs.

He took a deep breath as he continued on, his eyes staring right up into the section we were sitting in. "Desiree Deligave and I aren't together. We never should've been. You see, there's this girl that I've been crazy about for years. She's my best friend, even though she's stubborn as hell and hard to chase after. I'd chase her to the end of the earth if it meant being with her..."

Beside me, Seth lets out a low whistle, while Ava squeals excitedly and screaches, "Oh. My. God!"

Silent tears trail down my cheeks as I sit there in disbelief, and my eyes meet Klay's as he starts walking out of the court and up through the crowd, causing fans to go crazy.

"The other day, you asked me a question, Logan, and I didn't answer you because I was scared. I'm scared as hell of losing you. I'm scared now, standing in front of all of these Golden State fans baring my heart out to you, but you're worth it all, babygirl. You and Hope."

My hands reach up to cover my mouth as I choke back a sob, and within seconds, Klay is standing a few steps below where I am sitting, his eyes nervous and filled with unshed tears and his entire body tense.

"I forgive you, Logan. I forgave you a long time ago. I'm sorry that I ever hurt you to begin with, but if you let me make it up to you, I promise that I will forever take care of you and Hope, that we'll be one big happy family and live happily ever after just like her Barbies always do."

That causes the crowd to chuckle, and I can't help the small smile that forms on my face despite my tears.

My breath completely leaves my throat and louds screams of excitement erupt through the Oracle as Klay bends down on one knee and holds out a small blue velvet box. There, sitting inside, is the most beautiful diamond ring that I have ever seen in my life. Oh...my...god...

"Logan, babygirl," Klay says nervously into the microphone as he gazes up into my eyes, "ever since the moment I saw you on the court, I haven't been able to stop thinking about you. I loved you when we were growing up, and I love you even more now. And I love Hope like my own and I want to be her dad. I... I love you both more than life itself, and I'll do anything to keep you guys safe and happy because...because babygirl, you're all I've ever wanted."

The sobs pour freely from me as I try to wipe away my tears, and although everyone's eyes are on us, I only have eyes for Klay.

"Will you marry me, Logan?"