Chapter 16

There is no way that this moment can be more perfect. Rocco is sprawled out at the foot of the bed, snoring contentedly. Hope is lying on Klay's left side, her small head tucked into the crook of his arm as she sleeps peacefully, and I'm lying on Klay's right side, with my head resting atop his muscular chest.

The soothing sound of his heartbeat causes me to smile, and I can't help but wish that we could stay like this forever.

"Logan," he says quietly, and my heart skips a beat when I detect the nervousness in his voice, "are you sure this is what you want?"

Instead of responding with words, I trail feather soft kisses up his neck. "More than anything."

Beneath my lips, I feel him swallow hard. "You promise? There's no going back after this."

"I promise. Why are you so worried?"

He snorts. "You have a record of running away from me. I just... I'm not gonna lie, I'm really afraid that you'll do it again. I can't... I don't think I could handle that."

I open my mouth to deny what he said, but I quickly close it as I realize that he is right. Running away from him is what I do best, but I am so tired of being hurt that it is all that I know how to do. It's easier.

Not knowing what to say, I pull away from him and push the covers off of me before getting out of the bed.

He curses under his breath, but I don't even bother to turn around as I make my way to the bathroom. "You're doing it right now!"

"I am not!" I whisper yell at him, glaring at him with my arms across my chest.

"You are too! You won't talk to me about anything," he replies in a whisper yell, careful not to jostle around too much so he doesn't wake up Hope.

Shaking my head at him, I retreat to the bathroom and shut the door behind me, but not before seeing the betrayed look in his eyes.

. . .

"So does this mean I get the apartment now?"

The Capt'n Crunch I was chewing on squirts out of my mouth all over the dining room table as I fall into a violent choking fit. The entire time, Ava sits there and stares at me as my eyes water and I fight to clear my throat. "W-what?"

"Since you're with Klay now, I'd imagine that you won't be living here anymore. So I was just wondering if I could have the apartment?"

Despite her repeating herself, I still can't comprehend what she is saying. Klay and I have been together for all of two second, and already my friend is ready to kick me out? What the hell is happening?

Taking a deep breath to control my emotions, I say quietly, "I don't know."

Silence fills the room for all of two seconds before...

"You don't know?! Hello! In case you haven't noticed, you are dating a basketball playsr, hunny. A seriously fine, seriously filthy rich basketball player who has a drop dead gorgeous house that I would give up an arm, a leg and a butt cheek for! And you don't know if you're going to move in with him?! Ugh!"

All I can do is sit there in shock as Ava stands from the table and makes her way to her bedroom. She just...she really just yelled at me and walked away. That is not okay!

Finally getting over my initial shock, I get up and follow her. As soon as I enter her room, I notice that she definitely isn't alone, if the paid of gigantic feet hanging out from under the cover of her bed are anything to go by.

"You really want me gone, don't you?" I ask, not even bothering to keep my voice quiet for her guest, whoever he may be.

Ava laughs hysterically, causing me to wince at the high pitch noise. "Logan, wake up! I love you, you know I do, but you've got a chance to have it all and you aren't taking it. I'm trying to give you a push in the right direction."