Chapter 20

It is taking all of my self control to force myself to stand here and smile politely at the small group of people huddled around me. Now, a normal girl would probably freak out at the fact that she is standing in the same circle as Shaq and his ex wife Shaunie, Doug Christie and his crazy wife Jackie, Kobe Bryant and his wife, and a few others, but me? All I want to do is get as far away from them as possible.

The wives are giving me predatory glares as they tightly clutch onto the arms of their husbands while the men all talk to one another. For some crazy reason, they think that I want their men. Ha! I don't even want the one standing next to me running his mouth about how 'skilled' he is.

No, the man I want is across the room with the woman I can't stand, letting her press her voluptuous curves into his body. I swallow hard as my eyes follow Desiree's glittery manicured nails as they trail down Klay's muscular chest, down to his toned stomach and start to head for right below his bel-

"Right, Logan?"

Tearing my eyes away from the heartbreaking scene in front of me, I turn my attention onto Nick, who is smirking down at me smugly. "Huh?"

His large hand moves down to cup my ass, and I tense when he gives it a squeeze. "You think I'm skilled, don't you?"

Clutching onto my small purse even tighter, I try to remain in control as I move his hand off of my ass. "You are?"

"Yeah, on the court and," he pauses as he leans down and stage whispers in my ear for everyone to hear, "in the bedroom."

Hearing the whistles from the men and the chuckles from their dates, I grit my teeth as I take a step away from him. "Well, I haven't seen your skills on the court because you always ride the bench, and as for the ones in the bedroom, well...thirty seconds isn't much of a performance."

Nick's mouth drops open in shock as the small group around us erupts into fits of laughter, and I can't help the small smug grin that forms on my lips. Finally, I get to make him feel like the ass that he is.

He growls low in his throat before pulling me in close to him. "She's funny, really funny."

Deciding that now is my chance to get away from him, I pat him on the shoulder before smiling at everyone. "You know I don't joke, Nicky, especially not about something as important as this. You know that's why it was only one time."

The group around us just laughs harder, and I can sense Nick's embarassment rising to new levels. Maybe tonight won't be so bad after all.

"Or maybe it's because Klay wanted a real woman who he didn't have to chase down all the time."

My heart drops to the pit of my stomach and tears form in my eyes as the laughter around us dies down, and when I look up at him, Nick is smirking coldly at me, amusement in his eyes.

"That's why he's got the beautiful Desiree Deligave hanging all over him tonight instead of you, right? Cause' he decided you weren't worth it anymore? Well he's right, you aren't," Nick continues before snagging a flute of champagne from a nearby waiter and downing it.

"Damn, bro." "That's so mean, Nick, come on." "Poor thing."

The people around us comment, and despite the fact that I wish I could just disappear right now, I hold my head up high and keep my tears at bay.

"If I'm not worth chasing after then tell me why you're my date tonight? If I'm not worth chasing after, tell me why you got into a fight with Klay?"

Nick's mouth gapes open and shut like a fish out of water for a few seconds as I stand there waiting for him to give me an answer, but nothing comes out.