Chapter 21

The entire car ride back to our apartment is silent, save for the sounds of Ava groaning and mumbling incoherent things about Shaun from the backseat.

Truthfully, I don't know what to say to him. It seems like every time we speak lately, we argue. And the last time...well, he made it perfectly clear that he needs his space, which is what I plan to give him as soon as I get out of the car.

Just a few more minutes of this torture and then I'll be able to crawl into my bed and cry my eyes out.

"Does it hurt?"

My eyes widen as they snap up to look at Klay, who is staring straight ahead at the road with a stony look on his face. Ever angry, he is so handsome.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"Your arm... I saw him grab you."

Glancing down to look at my arm, I frown when I see a small bruise in the spot where Nick grabbed it. Great. "I'm fine."

Klay frowns. "Let me see."

"No."

He growls. "Logan, give me your arm."

"No," I tell him again as I stare out of the window. Thankfully we are just right around the corner from the apartment. I've never wanted to get away from and stay with someone at the same time, until Klay.

I ignore his intense gaze as he pulls into the parking lot and turns off the engine. Once again, it is silent. Before he can open his mouth, I unlock the door and push it open.

"Thank you for the ride," I tell him gratefully, all the while avoiding his eyes. If I stare into those dark brown orbs... I'm going to start crying, and I refuse to cry in front of him.

He opens his mouth to speak, and I quickly shut the door and move to open the back one, where Ava is slumped over. If this were any other night, this situation with her would be absolutely hilarious. Right now, it is just annoying.

"Come on, Ava," I mumble as I try to pick her up. She groans and leans all of her weight on me, and I yelp as we go tumbling down onto the pavement.

All of the air is knocked out of me as I land on my side, and I wince as I feel my leg get scraped up. Wonderful, just wonderful.

"Shit! Logan, are you okay?" Klay asks worriedly as he lifts Ava off of me and throws her over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. He's so strong that he makes it look easy.

Ignoring the pain in my leg, I nod my head as I struggle to stand up. My bad leg wobbles, and just as I begin to fall again, Klay wraps one of his arms around me and pulls me in close.

He curses under his breath, and I stare at his chest as to avoid his gaze.

"I'm sorry," I whisper quietly as my eyes well up with tears. My apology encompasses so much more than just for falling. I am apologizing for being stubborn, for causing him so much pain, for being difficult, for being with Nick...all of it.

A gasp escapes my lips as he picks me up and sits me down in the backseat of his car before holding out one of his large hands. "Give me your keys."

Surprised by his request, I dig my keys out of my purse and hand them to him. His serious face stares straight at me. "Don't move."

And then he's gone, with Ava still over his shoulder. I watch as he treks up the staircase and goes to our apartment.

I don't know why he wants me to stay here...if anything, I would think that he would want to get away from me as quickly as possible. The look on his face tells me that I should listen to him, just this once...