Chapter 12- Fix a Heart

"Hey, Demi, how come you don't ever try to talk to Alexa?" I asked nervously one day in the car on the way to dance class.

My aunt frowned in response. "I have. Repeatedly actually. I just don't think your sister wants to get to know me."

"Step-sister," I corrected automatically in a cool tone before my hand flew to cover my mouth. "Sorry, that was rude."

Demi just shrugged as if to say, 'It's fine.' "What dance classes do you have today?" The pop star asked, changing the subject abruptly, not that I minded or was opposed at all.

"Just company. It's where we practice competition dances and perform in front of each other," I explained further at her confused expression. "My least favorite class."

"Aww," Demi chuckled lightly. "How about we go to the park after then? It should still be light outside."

I instantly perked up. Get to spend more time with my aunt before she left for LA again in four days? Yes please! "'Mkay."

Demi chuckled again before pulling up outside of the brick building. "Alright. Have a fun time at dance even if this isn't your favorite class."

I just nodded at what Demi said before ducking under her hand and out of the car as she tried to ruffle my hair. I stuck my tongue out at my aunt before running into the studio.

---

For class, everyone was sitting against the walls in the largest dance room. There were about fifty of us and for the hour-long class, all we did was practice our group dances for competition. The room got hot really quickly which sucked for me in my long sleeved, green leotard.

However, despite the stifling heat, I couldn't help the small smile that spread across my face as I watched another group dance to a very familiar song. One of my aunt's songs.

And I just ran out of band-aids.

Sneakily, I grabbed my iPod from my bag behind me. We weren't supposed to have any electronic devices out during class but there was no way I wasn't recording this dance that I hadn't seen before today.

---

I let the car door slam shut behind me as I slid into the leather seat, my face buried in my iPod screen.

"Hey, earth to M," Demi called, waving a hand in front of my face. "What are you doing that's so interesting."

I didn't respond as I finished typing out my message before hitting the post button. The video from company class popped up on my feed with my typed out message below it. Demi's phone pinged a second later. Wait... did she follow me?!

Since she hadn't started driving yet, the superstar pulled her iPhone out of her fancy, overpriced purse. "@ddlovato, how do you 'Fix a Heart?'" Demi read out with a short laugh. "Really, M? Such a cheesy caption!"

"Yup," I responded, popping the 'p.' Then my phone pinged as well. Demi had favorited the post before she pushed my iPod away from my face.

"Stop messing around on that thing and talk to your aunt who's actually in the car with you."

I rolled my eyes good-naturedly and turned my device off but not before another message popped up. '@maxkmiller, what the Hell are you doing still alive and tagging stars. Stop being such an annoying little bug. Get your head out of the clouds and back on the ground with the vermin where it belongs.'

I don't even know where to start.

"What's wrong?" Demi asked when I didn't say anything after turning off the iPod.

"Nothin'," I mumbled in response, looking down at my hands. Why does everyone hate me so much? What did I do?

"The truth please," Demi responded, sounding slightly worried as she pulled up to a small park that wasn't too far from our house or Rhythm Dance Academy.

"Just, um, just some people from my school..." I mumbled sadly. "But it's okay, let's go!" I forced a smile onto my face before climbing out of the car. Please don't let her see through me.

Of course, she did.

But, surprisingly, Demi didn't say anything. She just grabbed my hand and we started walking down one of the cobblestone paths.

Cause you can bandage the damage.

---

"Come on, just give it a try?" Demi laughed as I giggled and snapped a picture. The twenty-year-old had her legs wrapped around the monkey bars as she dangled precariously upside-down.

"Demi..." I groaned, still laughing hysterically as she swayed back and forth.  

"Maxine..." She copied my tone, reaching up and swinging back down off the kid's playground. "Come here, baby girl."

Stifling my laugh, I walked the short distance over to the singer, shrieking when suddenly my feet weren't on the ground anymore.

Demi had picked me up, setting me back down on top of the monkey bars. I shrieked again. "Demetria!"

You never really can fix a heart. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Hey guys! I am so very sorry that this chapter is like a week late. I had a dance competition which I was stressed about (It's over now), but now, I've been feeling a little sick and just haven't had time to edit this chapter even though I wrote it a while ago. Rather than trying to make up for all the chapters I missed though, I'm just going to continue with the normal schedule. And, that's about all I have to say besides please vote and comment! Tell me what you think of Max and Demi's relationship. Should the story be moving slower or faster or is the plot speed right now good? 

Views: 580

Votes: 29

Comments: 2