Chapter 30- Gift of a Friend Part 1

I glanced down at the outfit that I was wearing as I walked out the front door, bookbag over one arm. I'm wearing a long sleeve white shirt and a purple skirt complete with my black converse.

Demi can't drive me to school today because she has to be at an interview really early which means that I'm taking the bus for the first time. I'm not gonna lie... I've heard a lot of horror stories about school buses and I'm praying that nothing happens to me on the way to school.

Sometimes you think you'll be fine by yourself...

The bus was a lot more crowded than I expected, especially since there are still five stops after mine. Luckily, I was able to find a seat near the back that wasn't taken yet. Or at least wasn't taken until a girl walked over, her bag slung over one shoulder as the bus started moving again.

"Can I sit here?" The girl asked and it took me a minute to realize that she was talking to me.

'Cause a dream is a wish you make all alone.

"Um, sure." I slid my bookbag over onto the floor so she could sit down beside me as I took in her appearance. The girl had to be around my age, probably eleven or twelve, and she had shockingly blue eyes along with brown hair. She's so pretty meaning she's got to be popular, so why on earth does she want to sit next to me?

"Oh, my name's Nicole by the way," The girl- Nicole- stated with a smile as her blue eyes met mine.

"I'm Max."

---

School today went as usual. The blonde girl in all my classes who by this time I had learned was Mallory Stewart tormented me as usual and the teachers all turned a blind eye to it. This school really isn't all that different than my school in Arkansas if I'm being honest.

It's easy to feel like you don't need help.

Well, I guess there is one thing I can say was different than normal...

Turns out Nicole and I have most classes together, and she moved chairs so that she could sit by me in all of the classes we both had. If I'm being honest. I actually kind of liked having someone to talk to. I just can't get used to it because sooner or later she'll realize just what a freak I really am.

But it's harder to walk on your own. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: hey everyone! What did you all think of the chapter? Is there anything you want to see more of? Oh, and what do you think of Nicole so far? Is she actually just a nice person or does she have an agenda of some kind? Also, I wrote this chapter at school and wasn't able to edit, so sorry for any errors, just point them out if they bother you and I'll fix them. And as always please vote and comment and I'll talk to you all soon!