Chapter 38- Old Ways

So, today's the day. I'm going to meet Demi's, well I guess technically my and Demi's, family.

Apparently, I have another aunt named Dallas who's Demi's older sister and then she also has a younger half-sister, Madison, although I'm not really sure how I'm related to her or if I even am if I'm being honest. And to be completely truthful, I'm scared out of my mind right now.

It was fun, playing with knives...

"You ready?" Demi called through the opened door as I glanced back in the mirror one more time. I'm wearing dark red jeans that are ripped at the knees and a black long-sleeved shirt that hides the scars and fresh cuts on my arms. I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

Until the blade stuck in the left side of my chest...

"Mhm," I mumbled under my breath as my aunt came through my doorway, wrapping one arm around me.

"You look fine, baby girl, stop critiquing yourself."

Surprise.

----

The plane ride from Los Angeles to Demi's childhood home in Texas was boring to say the least, and I spent the entire time listening to music and holding onto the blueberry scented Toothless plushie that Mila had gotten me while I was in the hospital. Just cause it was boring didn't make flying any less terrifying and nerve-wracking.

Thinking back on it, it's kinda ironic that all the music I listen to is either Demi or Fifth Harmony, and yet Demi's my aunt and I'm friends with Fifth Harmony. I guess you really can't predict where your life is gonna lead.

I'm knocked down again.

I didn't even notice that the cab we were in had stopped until I felt Demi gently grab my hand, pulling me out into the blinding sunlight. Sometimes I wish I could just turn off the sun and go hide away forever.

I turn the page, the story's mine.

Demi lead me up to the front door of the nice looking house, glancing back at before knocking. Almost immediately, the door swung open and a blonde woman wrapped her arms tightly around my aunt who was still holding my hand. What am I supposed to do?

And then the lady who had opened the door noticed me and gave me a huge smile, bending down slightly so that we were at eye level. "Hi," she greeted, her smile still genuine and present as she introduced herself. "I'm Dianna, Demi's mom."

"Hi, 'M Max," I muttered, halfway hiding behind Demi. I hate meeting new people. I just wanna go home now.

And then more people came rushing outside. Two more people to be exact, both of them very loud and excited.

No more watching the world from my doorstep passing me by.

After what felt like forever filled with hugs and 'nice to meet you's and we finally made it inside, and I couldn't help but actually like everyone.

But if someone tells me I'll go back to my old ways...

Eddie seemed really tall and intimidating, but he's actually just really nice and as Demi said 'a big ol' teddy bear.'

Dianna's just as nice as she seems and she cares about everyone, and I can tell that she's an amazing mom.

Dallas and Maddie are both really funny, and Maddie's actually only a couple months older than me which is pretty cool.

So all 'N' all, even though I was really nervous, it wasn't too bad of a day. Even with Demi watching my every move and making sure I ate. For once I didn't mind that much.

I'm gonna say 'no way.' 

________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: I was pressured by @demixkyrstin into posting this chapter, so you guys can thank her. I'm here posting and browsing Wattpad rather than being a good teenager and doing my homework like I should be oops. Also, there you go. The De La Garza family made their first appearance 38 chapters in. Honestly, I wasn't gonna post this til tomorrow, so I don't really have anything to say, but oh well I guess. And as always, please vote and comment and tell me what you thought of the chapter. Question: What's the weirdest nickname you've ever gotten from someone besides your family? A little boy that in one of the karate classes I teach is 5 and he calls me Rika and RiRi which is a strange play off my first name Kaira and those have got to be the strangest nicknames I have that didn't come from my parents or siblings.