Departure and Future

"I didn't think this would be so hard."
Jade clutched my hand and squeezed it a bit too hard. Even though it was painful, I enjoyed it as it showed her care and worry at the same time.

"Babe, it's fine. Stop worrying." I pulled her hand towards my lips and kissed. She gave me a shy smile. She's still shy to have all these PDA moments in front of my mam. I remember few days back mam came to my bedroom for something and Jade was there, let's say, not in an appropriate manner. Mam was quite shocked and kept on shouting "Sorry" while rushing down the stairs. Jade was rooted to the spot with her eyes widened. I had quite a laugh that night.

I smiled at her blush-filled face and pecked her head.

"You're going Per. Leaving. I...I can't." Jade was really struggling to put her words out.

"Babe, need I remind you that you were the one who forced me to go?" I smirked and Jade rolled her eyes at me.

"Very funny, Edwards."

I turned my body to face her. Jade was the kind of girl who gets sad at trivial matters. But I know this right now is not a joke. I know that this separation is huge. There is a chance that this distance might affect us. I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her to me. Tentatively, she raised her hands to put them around my neck. God! We might be looking so cliché. Airport goodbyes!!

"We're going to be fine. I know that. I'm not leaving forever. It's just for job. I'll be back."

"I know...but...you are leaving. That's a reality. That hurts."

She's right. I am leaving. I don't know when will I come back. New York could suck you in. I may forever be stuck there.

"We will facetime. We will text each other, call each other and all."

"Yeah, just not seeing each other." Jade looked down to the floor and fixed her eyes there. I slowly pulled her jaw to make her look at me. I could see the tears at the corners of her eyes. Before they could fall down, I used my hand to wipe her tears to erase whatever was there.

"Don't cry Jado. You will set me off."

"Right. Sorry. God! We are so cliché." She let go of her hands from my neck and rubbed her eyes. "You should say goodbyes to your mam and Jonnie. Go."

"It's okay. She's used to me leaving every now and then. So is Jonnie. This is our first time." I tried to hold her hands once more, but she didn't let me. I frowned and pouted at her.

"Whatever! She's your mam. Go." She pushed me by my shoulders and walked back a bit and took out her phone and called someone.  I looked at her sceptically. She looked at me and mouthed, "mam" and pursued with her call. I couldn't understand whether her mam was on the line or whether she was trying to avoid another scene with me. I just sighed and walked towards mam.

Mam was sitting on the chair with Jonnie and Lucy. Ever since they got engaged, Lucy always accompanied my brother wherever he went. That has become a sight too common. I sat next to mam and rested my head on her shoulder.

"Are you alright?" I gave her a reply in the form of a hum.

"Where's Jade?" Jonnie asked me when I closed my eyes for a while.

"Her mam called."

"Everything alright honey?"

"Yes mam. We are fine. Just a bit sad that we are not together."

"Personally, I'm happy that you got a better job. Also happy that you got a girlfriend like Jade. This is not the end for either of you. Distance is nothing when you put your heart into it. That's all I can say."