5: Best Friends

Melissa

I woke up with the rope still tied around my wrists and an aching body. Fuck, I'll need to skip school but I don't wanna stay here any longer with my mom.

"I see you're awake.." Mo.. I mean Patricia cut the rope that was around my wrists, making it able for me to move my hands. "I hope you can manage to go to school.. cause you know, I don't want to see you in here.." Only the words 'I don't want to see you here' went through my thick skull.

Yeah? If that's so, then why beat me for not being here for a day? God's sake, she's confusing the living shit out of me. She doesn't want me here but she also doesn't want me out of here? What?

"Get up, and go get ready for school.. If you insist to stay here any longer, I still have the energy to make your body turn into a vegetable.." I hastily ran out of her room even though my body begs me not to.

I just damn, it hurts so much that I can't even think straight. I don't know what hurts, is it the beatings? Or the horrible things that came out from her mouth?

Green blood, disgusting, no place for this world..

I don't know anymore.. Instead of crying, I thought of a way on how to hide the bruise lying on my face. "God, why did you invent bruises?" I tried looking for a concealer but there was none, then again, I don't have make up.. I probably should just ask Skye for one later.

I stripped out of my clothes and took a look on my body covered with bruises. She used a belt this time. I saw the marks on my back, stomach, thighs.. God, how am I going to hide these?
Oh, I should wear stockings.. About the arms, thank god my uniform is long sleeved.. So the only left problem is my face.

I took a quick bath before these thoughts could lead me nowhere. I wrapped myself around a towel and looked for my uniform.

After I'm done dressing, I took my bag and wore my eyeglasses then quickly ran outside.

Phew. I'm glad she was in her room or else I wouldn't make it outside. I ran towards school not minding my aching body. I'll go as far away as I can from that house by all means.

"Hey Mels!" Skye's cheerful voice went through my ears. She was smiling gleefully as she was running to me. Her smile soon faded when my image was clearer for her to see.

"What... the...hell..Mels.." A loud gasp escaped her mouth once her eyes have examined my body. "Yeah, I know.. I look like a mess right now.. Let's go," I tried to pull her with me but she wouldn't follow.
"What the hell Skye, let's go" I demanded, still pulling her towards the school.

"How can you go to school like that? Is it only your face?" I gave her the look saying, please not here. And finally she followed me to wherever I wanted us to talk.

I locked the door behind us. "Tell me, do you have a concealer?" I whispered then she searched in her bag. After she's done, she looked into my eyes for a brief moment before sighing. "I'm afraid.. I don't..." The Gods must be crazy. Next time I'll put concealer number one on my to buy list.

"Let me see the other," she spoke sternly. "What do you mean.. 'The other'?" I played dumb even though I know what exactly she's referring to. "Don't, the other me Melissa.. Just show me the other."
Fine. I rolled up my sleeves, unbuttoned my blouse, pulled down my stockings. My arms, thighs, stomach, and back covered with large bruises and belt marks.

"Me.. Melissa? How can she do this to y-you?" I sighed heavily, for me,
myself, don't know the answer too. "Honestly, I have no idea.. So.. What do I do now?" Her eyes sparkled like they had the brightest idea Skye has ever thought of.