28: Confirmation

Carroll

I've never been so nervous all my life. I've waited for this moment to come. Now, the speeches that I've made and practiced before have no use at this moment. It's like everything that I wanted to tell my mom just vanished in the air. Even my anger and hatred, they just dissolved..

I just want to hug my mom, whose eyes are watery. And that's what I did, since I lost the words that I wanted to say. My mom immediately wrapped her arms around me, as if by instinct.

"Mom," She hummed in response, her hand rubbing soothing circles on my back. I took a deep breath. "I'm sorry for ignoring you, mom." A sob broke out of me as soon as I let those words out.

Mom sighed. "There's nothing to be sorry for, dear.. I understand why you did that, and I'm glad that you've finally decided to come to me.." By now, we are both sobbing quietly. She pulled herself away from our embrace and took my face in her hands.

"Will you forgive me, dear?"

I nodded before pulling her for another hug again. "I love you mom" I mumbled against her shoulder. She continued to pat my back. Not even five seconds passed, she responded, "I love you too, dear.. More than anything you would've known.."

We stayed like that for a few minutes. No words and talking, just us holding each other for dear life. It was as if we are hugging each other to catch up with everything. Like, for the years we have missed. I really am stupid for not giving my mother a chance to talk. So immature of me.

I regrettably pulled away when I remembered what I wanted to ask and tell mom. My face turned cold at the thought of my father cheating. She seemed to sense my sudden change of mood because she gave me a concerned look.

"Dear," she palmed my cheek. "What's the matter? Are you okay?" I leaned further into the touch, missing my mom's comfort. I shook my head. "Mom, I have to ask you something," I rearranged myself, trying to be comfortable on my seat. Mom smiled at me. "Go on, dear."

I'm having a hard time finding the perfect words to ask this. Screw that, there's no harm in being straightforward right?

"Mom," I started, looking straight to her eyes that are similar to mine. I got my appearance from my mom, except for the hair color. "Did father cheat on you?"

As soon as that question left my mouth, mom has this startled look on her face, confirming my suspicion. Mom didn't speak. Instead, she lowered her gaze and avoided my eyes. "Mom," I repeated with a stern tone. Still, she refused to look. I let out an exasperated sigh.

"Okay, okay, yes he did.. And I was utterly hurt by what he did so I sought for consolation.. and, and I, I found it in my best friend.."

I buried my head in my hands. This makes sense. Dad cheated that surely hurt mom, so she sought for someone to comfort her. And since she's vulnerable, she fell for her best friend. That's just it, it's dad fault.

"How long had dad been cheating on you?" I looked at mom as I was waiting for her answer.

"At that time when we were still together, I found out about his love children.. They were five years old by that time, so I'm assuming that they've been dating behind my back for six or more years.."

That ass- He's lucky I respect him as a father. I can't promise that I still could continue to respect him though after knowing all of this. What an animal he is. How dare he slap my face with his filthy hands. And how dare he try to sell his own daughter for his profit? What kind of father does that to her child?!

I was wondering though, why didn't mom sue them?

"About suing them, I decided against it." Mom answered my silent question. I gave her a confused look. "Even Scarlett told me to sue them, especially we have evidence.. But I can't bear my children to suffer just because of his mistake and lose your father.. So I just preferred divorcing him rather than letting all of you suffer.. No one knows why I divorced him though, even Sam doesn't know anything; however, I'm glad that he's not too angry at me.."