25: Promise

Melissa

"Come on, let's go home. It's dark already."

Carl and I followed the authoritative brunette's order in an instant. I mean, I couldn't really do anything to object to whatever she wants to happen. Carroll is Carroll while I'm just Melissa, her vice president forever living in the shadows, just continuing to follow her orders.

I mean as long as her orders are not horrible.. Dammit Melissa, when did Carroll tell you to do something that would cause harm to anyone? There wasn't a time, you idiot.

As we were walking our way home, I noticed that the sky turned into a reddish and purplish shade. It seemed like a painting with all the clouds surrounding the sun that's peeking out the horizon. Everything is beautiful, and Carroll's presence is only adding to the positive atmosphere. It is silent but I feel at ease. Everything felt enough. Carroll, and even Carl, with me fulfills something in me. I seem to be contented with this moment and I don't want this to end. I want to stay like this forever, even if Carroll isn't uttering a single word.

Everything felt perfect. My life felt fulfilled like I didn't need anything else, just her... Just Carroll..

"Psst." I felt a hand grab mine again that caused me to look down to Carl looking up at me. Carroll was again walking ahead us and it seemed like she wasn't bothered and still held the world in her hands. She's so confident, damn.

Carl clicked his tongue. "Oh dear.. You're far away from us again, Melissa.."

His observation made me shake my head in amusement. I answered with a smile on my lips, "That, my dear, is correct.. You're a keen observer for your age.." Carl swayed our intertwined hands, seeming to be happy with what he observed. "Indeed I am," He stated in a matter of fact.

"That's what you get if you're around my big sis." He said as if he's telling someone his achievement.

"You'll be smart," he added with a smile. He's so proud and it's cute.

"Well.." I started with a challenging tone. "If you're that smart, then guess what's on my mind then.." Our walking stopped abruptly. Without any hesitations, he whispered, "My sister." And after that, he let go of my hand and went to catch after her sister.

I was left dumbfounded, my mouth agape, wondering how the hell was he able to figure that out. I couldn't be that obvious, right?

"We're home," the three of us walked in after Carroll announced our arrival. It is already thirty past six, probably after we rest for a little bit we'll eat dinner soon. After I closed the door behind us, I headed to the stairs.

"Carroll's house is really enormous.." I whispered to myself while walking in the hallways, looking for the room we are using. When I found our room, I twisted the knob open. The sight before me made me put my hands on my head in disbelief. What stood before me were girls lying with phones in their hands and food wrappers scattered on the floor.

Oh my god.

"What the hell?!" I announced my arrival with a shout before striding across the room. They didn't even seem to notice me. "This room was created from chaos!" They all stared at me with their gazes wide.

Emma barked at me, "Nani?!"

"What the,- Emma?" I barked back. The other girls covered their mouths. It was obvious that they're having a hard time muffling their laughs. Emma's eyes opened wider, "You're missin' out something in your life, Lisa. I'm telling you, anime is life!" Her statement made me snort.

"Apparently that doesn't work for me. It seems that my life revolves–" I was about to say something dumb, but thanks to the person who entered I didn't get the chance to say more.