Chapter 15 Karma wins

"I... I can't believe this is happening..." Tord said in sadness, he tried so hard not to cry. He had to be strong, right? "I thought... those potions would just..." Tord felt like he didn't need to finish the sentence, Edd understood.

"Make the black feathers go away? I thought so too..." Edd hugged his legs while his half minty green and black wings were half folded behind him. Ringo meowed sadly and rubbed against him. "I think this is karma..."

"Karma?"

"Yes, karma. For what you've done. You went out to that bank when I told you not to, even when you said you'd change!" Edd paused for a moment. "I'm pretty sure this IS your fault..." He said bitterly, Tord never heard Edd say anything in that tone before. But he was right, it was his fault.

The ground started making sounds, as if it was cracking, or sinking.
Tord looked over at Edd, there was a dent in the ground beneath him now, Tord was sure it wasn't there before.

"Green Bird..." Paused Tord, waiting for Edd to respond. All that Edd did was look at him so he continued, "Remember the arcade?"

"What part of it?"

"Remember the games we played?" Tord asked, Edd nodded.

"It was only a few days ago... of course I remember..." There was a slight smile on the angel's face.

"And how you beat me?" Tord smiled at the memory.

"At least now when I'm about to turn into a demon you admit it!" Edd smiled back, with tears in his eyes. "Remember the conversation where we gave each other nicknames?"

"Welcome back, Green Bird." Tord smiled copying the first thing he said that day.

"Green Bird?" Edd said back repeating the conversation also.

"I know, I'm not very creative."

Edd giggled, "Well, I can grow to like it. Now you need a nickname!"

"Just Tord. No nicknames for me."

"Prefect! Your nickname is, 'Just Tord'. What do you think?" They both chuckled at the memory.

"I think I can grow to like it."

They stared at each other for a moment, then continued.

"How about the day we first met?" Edd brought up.

"Dead or alive?" Tord asked with a smile, Edd giggled.

"Alive"

"That's a hard one..." Tord went deep into his memories for a moment, then found it. "Got it"

Edd started recalling the conversation, just like the previous one, "You shouldn't be in the rain by yourself"

"What if I like the rain?" Tord said reliving the memory. It was a dark stormy night, he sat on a bench struggling to keep his cigar lit. While Edd was standing in front of him with an umbrella.

"You can still catch a cold"

"Why would you care?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

Tord paused, "Because you don't know me"

"Just because I don't know you doesn't mean I can't care about your well being" Edd sat down on the bench, holding the umbrella over Tord's head.

"Don't you have something better to do?" Tord asked, he did not like how nice Edd was.

"Eh, not really. Doesn't seem like you do either"