F O U R

the black keys - sinister kid

: : :

For the first time in a long time, Ashton woke up this morning with no doubts about the day ahead. Although school wasn't exactly his cup of tea, he felt quite content about his schedule for a pleasantly warm Tuesday. Ever since his rendezvous with Luke, it was as though everything bad had been washed away and all the good rushed in to greet him with a genuine smile.

The fresh smell of maple syrup instantly motivated Ashton to rush downstairs as quickly as he could and taste the sweet feeling of maple drizzled over a stack fluffy pancakes. He slipped on a Green Day t shirt, a pair of blue mom jeans and snagged his light blue sweatshirt in case the weather took a turn for today. He then slung his bag over his shoulder and almost tripped over the stairs whilst running down them to meet with his desired breakfast.

"They won't go anywhere, Ash" Harry teased, Ashton's mother stifling a chuckle from the living room. Ashton smiled at that, seeing as his parents were never as happy anymore due to their constant bickering and fighting.

"You never know, a pancake could grow legs and escape through the window" Ashton snapped, shooing his brother away with his maple covered fork. Harry sighed and rolled his eyes at the older sibling, hiding a cheeky smirk once he turned away.

After kissing all his loved ones goodbye, Ashton made his way out the two storey house and onto the footpath, where he began walking to school with his hands shoved into the pockets of his jeans. The curly haired boy secretly hoped that he'd come across Luke again. It was the first, most honest conversation he had ever been involved in, and Ashton wouldn't mind always seeing his face on a daily basis.

His prayers were all of a sudden answered when a small Toyota Camry slowed down to Ashton's walking pace and rolled down the window. Ashton grinned brightly once he saw a pair of ocean blue eyes peek out the car window.

"Hop in, curly" Luke offered, rubbing his chin that was smothered in faint facial hair. Ashton could never get tired of the little things Luke did that would make him swoon over the older male even more. He was just simply extravagant.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer" The blond winked, nudging the younger boy's shoulder as he rapidly drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. To this, Ashton simply blushed and smiled sheepishly, letting his curls fall over his eyes and shyly shake his head in embarrassment.

"So where are we off to today, captain?" Luke questioned, staring at the teen in awe. There wasn't a single thing that Luke didn't love about him.

"Greendale High School" Ashton murmured, feeling rather flustered under the older male's soft, yet intimidating gaze. He wasn't as used to people talking to him like this.

"I used to go there. Great school, shit teachers" Luke stated bluntly, taking his eyes of the road for a split second to look at Ashton once more.

"Really? When did you graduate?" The curly haired teen asked, blinking his eyes a few times to adjust to the bright sunlight.

"I didn't exactly graduate. I dropped out a few days before my first semester ended. But I went 4 years ago" Luke replied casually, running the hand that wasn't on the steering wheel through his dirty blond hair. Ashton's eyes widened. He hadn't expected Luke to be so much older than him, and the fact that it didn't phase the blonde male at all shocked him. Did Luke even know how old Ashton was?

"You're 22?" Ashton sputtered out, Luke's eyebrows instantly creasing in concern.

"Yeah. Aren't you 18?" Luke questioned awkwardly, worry consuming his eyes. He would've immediately felt guilty if Ashton was any younger than 18, and on top of that, he'd be arrested.

"No, 17" Ashton replied, Luke's expression turning sour as he bit the inside of his cheek. The two remained silent for a moment, the only sound being heard was the faint voice coming from the radio.

"I'm sorry if you got the wrong idea. I thought you were older" The blond blabbered in embarrassment, a crimson tint smothering his cheeks. Ashton giggled at how flustered Luke looked, and he warily placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Don't worry about it. You're a great friend. In fact, you're my only one, and I thank you for your company" Ashton smiled, Luke relaxing under the younger boy's touch. It was as though nothing could make him more content in life then to have Ashton around him and talking to him.

"Well that reassures me a lot, thanks" Luke chuckled, Ashton's eyes lighting up at his smile. It was one of the first times the curly haired teen had seen Luke smile, and it was truly something that he'd frame in his mind forever.

"Well, we're here" The blond announced, his eyes scanning the front yard of the school he previously went to. It was a surreal and rather ironic moment too, seeing as Luke never planned to go to another school or college in his life, yet here he was.

"Thanks for the ride. See you around" Ashton grinned, slinging his backpack over his shoulder as he closed the car door lightly, waving a small goodbye.

And Luke smiled, again.

downtown daisies ; lashtonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें