F I V E

tame impala - the less i know the better

: : :

Ashton sighed in relief once the final bell for the day went off. He barely stood up from his seat in the front as students practically trampled over him, desperate to get home and party on a Friday evening. It was something that never really phased Ashton; he knew he'd much rather be in the fields or at a park of some sort. He never understood the point of getting drunk out of your mind and forgetting everything that happened the night before.

Upon walking out the half empty school building, Ashton's eyes wondered over toward the entry where he secretly hoped Luke would be waiting in his car for him. But the thought vanished after a brief moment. He couldn't of seriously expected someone like him to care about Ashton in any way.

"Hey flower boy!" A whiney voice called out after Ashton, making him grumble at the sudden confrontation. It wasn't anything new. Sure, he'd receive a few homophobic slurs here and there, but Ashton knew to keep to himself and continue walking to avoid any drama.

"Are your flowers waiting for you, faggot?" The voice of another caught on, but it was more feminine this time. The jocks and cheerleaders were his instant guess.

"Hey! Leave him alone!" And this grabbed the attention of the smaller boy. His face lit up at the sight of his favourite blond, jogging up toward the group of teens and scolding them.

"Keep your dick in your pants, not in your fucking attitude" Luke spat, jabbing his pointer finger into the jock's chest. Now that Ashton had taken a closer look, he figured out that it was in fact the captain of the basketball team, Sean Gibsy.

Luke's head nodded into the direction of his car once his eyes met Ashton's, and Ashton simply speed walked over to the vehicle, where he frantically hopped inside the car.

"Did they touch you?" Luke asked as soon as he had gotten his seatbelt on. His ocean eyes were filled with rage and a side of concern; it comforted Ashton in ways Luke could never imagine.

Ashton shook his head innocently, fiddling with the hem of his sweater. He immediately flinched once a hand was placed on his thigh, and he flushed a bright red crimson.

"If they ever do hurt you, call me right away" The blond reassured Ashton, handing him his phone to put his contact in.

He blushed as soon as he found himself holding the phone in his hands, "I-I don't have a number. Or a phone"

He never got the point of using a phone on daily basis. Of course, it held important characteristics like calling and messaging your parents, but Ashton would observe the way kids his age would be glued to those small screens all day long, and he didn't want to be apart of that. He instantly regretted confessing his embarrassing secret once Luke let out a quiet "oh", and slowly pulled back the device.

"That's alright. You can just hand me your address and I'll stop by anytime" He smiled, seeming unbothered by the fact that Ashton didn't own a phone.

Ashton smiled contently as wrote down his address in the notes of Luke's phone. After handing the blond his phone back, he whispered a small 'thank you' and continued driving whilst stealing precious glances from the smaller boy.

: : :

They were fighting again.

It never seemed to stop. It was as though the bickering of Ashton's parents took up half of whatever quality time they spent together, and it ate up Ashton's insides completely.

Music would normally help ease the curly haired boy's heartache as he would slip his earphones in and let the lyrics of songs locate him elsewhere. Ashton leaned his head back on his headboard, breathing in heavily as the voice of Lana Del Rey filled his ears and relaxed him. His mind fixated onto Luke once more, and he found himself falling deeper into a bottomless pool of feelings. Ever since they had met, it seemed like the empty part of his heart began regaining its pieces and becoming one whole again. All the loneliness that consumed his life at one point slowly began to fade away.

Ashton's mind soon snapped back into reality once a tapping sound appeared at his window. He slowly plucked his earphones from his ears and paused the music, cautiously taking the smallest of steps toward the window. His heart jumped once a small pebble came in contact with the glass, and Ashton quickly opened up the window to see who the thrower was.

A a sheepish smile crawled onto the brown eyed boy's face as he spotted the familiar blond standing near the driveway.

"Hey curly! You up for a ride?" Luke shouted from below, clasping his hands around his mouth to project more sound.

To this, Ashton instantly grabbed his jacket and began climbing down the tree as quickly as he could, his feet coming in contact with the damp grass.

"Where we headed?" Ashton asked curiously, a grin filled with determination plastered onto Luke's face.

"On an adventure"