18: Leigh

18: Leigh

            Leigh was going crazy. It was already Thursday the following week and Noah hadn't responded. She had checked the book at the library to see if her notes were gone and they were, but Noah hadn't given an answer yet. Perhaps some random kid had found it.

            She placed her head in her hands and told herself not to panic.

            But that was easier said than done.

            Leigh chewed her lip as she washed her hands during her bathroom break. She told herself Noah could still answer, but she was starting to lose hope and the twisting in her stomach was getting nothing but worse. Leigh knew she wouldn't be able to concentrate on her trigonometry homework, so she decided to leave early, go home, crawl under the covers and die of embarrassment.

            With a slightly clearer head due to her new direction of motivation, Leigh exited the bathroom and headed back into the library. Her palms were damp and although she kept telling herself they were just wet from washing her hands, deep down, she knew it was sweat.

            But the twist in her stomach started to unravel when she realised there was something on her table. Leigh didn't care how stupid she looked; she ran towards her desk.

           Can't wait to (sort of) be with you, Leigh.
           - Noah
           P.S. first dates aren't complete without flowers.

            Leigh picked up the bouquet of native Australian flora. It was wrapped in forest green cellophane, tied together with a silky satin ribbon. They were beautiful.