We've got work to do

"Sorry about the dining room." I apologise, sliding a bit as I go back to my chair.

No one seems to notice as Munch and Dad are conversing.

"After we injected her with the mind stone essence, it must've reacted with the ice and maybe the lightning and developed." Munch says to Dad.

"Wait, you injected mind stone into me?" I question.

"Yeah. We didn't see the need to worry you about it but now-"

"Now I've got these, these, powers. What am I supposed to do?" I groan.

"I don't know. We will figure this out. But first, Maria, I need to talk to you. Alone." My Dad says, motioning for Jacob and Pepper to exit the dining room. They both get up from their seats, steadying themselves due to the icy floor.

"No. Let them stay." I say.

"Maria-"

"Please. Just let them stay." I repeat.

Dad nods, so Pepper and Munch sit themselves back down and awkwardly glance round the room.

"I always thought that the story of your Mother was believable. Obviously not. I don't know what Loki knows, he might not even know anything. The truth is, I don't know what happened to your Mum, Maria, I-"

"How is that even possible. How do you not know?" I question.

The atmosphere is icy, no pun intended.

"One day, there was a loud knock at my door. I answered, no one was there, except a small baby in a box. There was a note on top of it, I still have it here." Dad explains, throwing a piece of neatly folded paper on the table.

"I'm adopted? Oh my god, why is my life such a soap, I can't go-"

"No. Read the note." He says, sliding it down the table.

It's slightly creased, a few edges torn and some words are slightly dull, but it's readable.

Tony,
This is your biological daughter. Look after her please. I've already named her Maria, after your mother. I remember you always liking that name. Yes, I didn't die in a car crash. No, you shouldn't look for me.
Carrie

"When you were old enough, I did a DNA to make sure I was your Father. I am. Your Mother's DNA didn't match with anyone on the database. Her name was Carrie, I dated her for about three months before she one day got in a car accident and died. See, I didn't lie about that. Obviously, she didn't die."

"So you're saying my Mother faked her own death?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Why would she do that?" Munch says.

"I have no idea."

" You didn't try and look for her?" Pepper says. She's obviously never heard this story before.

"Of course I did. It's as if she completely disappeared. God knows where she is."

There's a long silence, everyone sharing looks occasionally. We all know what's coming next.

"Can't I try and find her?" I say, breaking the ice.

I'm so punny.

"I already said I don't want you leaving th-"

"Let's be honest, that's not going to stop me. Please let me go." I plead.

"Fine. But keep in contact. No drugs or drinking-"

"You can't lecture me on drinking." I interrupt.

"No dogs. No getting married, I don't want grandchildren right now either, hmm, what else, and no crimes either, well, as little as possible." My Dad finishes.

"Cool. I promise that I'll find her. I promise. Come on Munch."

"Where are we going first?" He asks, starting to rise from his sliding chair.

"An...acquaintance. She was the one who checked the birth records at that hospital."

"So it wasn't you who did that?" Dad asks.

"Of course not. Do I look like I'd hack into a hospital database...never mind, don't answer that."
_______
I open the boot of our expensive looking car, admiring the variety of weapons and tools.

"Don't do it." Munch warns as I go to close the boot.

"We've got work to do." I say, imitating Sam Winchester's famous line.