CHAPTER FIFTEEN: BREAKING POINT

— LYRIC BRYANT 

"Gotta' look presentable." My mom said, checking herself out in the mirror. She moved her side bang off off as her face.

I rolled my eyes. "Mama, they're interviewing me, not you."

"You still have to look professional whether it's for you or not. Would you rather me dressing like a bum?" She said. "That's not what I meant." I mumbled, shaking my head.

"Good morning." My dad came down the stairs, holding Gisselle. He had his suit on, I already knew he was going to work.. Or to that hoe house.

"Good morning." My mom said back. She elbowed me, I guess because I didn't say it back. I groaned, and rolled my eyes silently. "Morning." I said, dryly.

"What's wrong Lyric? You're nervous?" My dad inquired. "No." I rolled my eyes again. "She probably is. But that's okay, cause we're gonna' be here to support her." My mom said.

"Sorry, I wish I can but I have to go to work overtime. I'll drop Gisselle off, since I'm heading over that way anyway. So I'll see y'all later on tonight." He said. Later on tonight.. wow.

Should've known that was coming. "Okay." She said. "Good luck on the interviews today." My dad said. He walked over to me, and kissed me on my forehead. He kissed my forehead with those infected ass lips. I will forever scrub my forehead with bleach now.

I kissed my sister's cheek. "Bye Gigi." After I said that my mama looked at me. "You're not gonna' say bye to your father?"

"Bye dad. Have a good day." I said, nonchalantly. "It's fine Michelle, she's probably mad at me. But see y'all later." He walked out the door, after he said that. "What's wrong Lyric?" My mom asked.

"Nothing." I crossed my arms, looking another direction. "Lying is a sin Lyric. I hope you're not doing that." She said sternly. I knew that was coming. "No, I'm not lying. It's nothing wrong with me."

She sighed, "Well come on so we can get to this interview."

I walked out the house, going to the car, while she stayed and locked the door. I waited for her to unlock the car doors. She unlocked them once she got down the steps. I got in the car, she got in after.

The car ride to Spelman was silent. Even when we went inside, we still didn't say anything to each other until we met up with Mrs. McClure, the dean of Spelman. She toured us around Spelman, the more she toured us, the more, I wanted to stay.

Ima' give it some time before I officially go there. Cause I know I'd want an apartment instead of a dorm. Just because I like my personal space. But that probably wouldn't matter. Ain't no telling how much my parents put into college for me.

"You wanna' check out the other school?" My mama asked me, I shook my head no, with no hesitation. She laughed at me, "You really want to go to Spelman?" I nodded my head.

For one, because Kendra gonna' there. Serena is too, but I feel like our friendship is becoming distant. "Shoot, I have to drop you off. I forgot, I had to go to work today. You wanna' go spend time with grandma?" She asked me.

"Do grandma want me to spend time with her?" I snickered. "That's not funny Lyric. And of course, she'd want you to spend time with her. But she also want you to help her out."

"Which grandma?" I asked her. I hope not my dad's mom, Grandma Joy. Her name should've been the opposite of Joy. My grandma is evil but religious, she act hateful towards everyone. She's been like that since my grandfather married my dad's step mom, Regina.

"My mom." She said. I sighed out of relief. Joy would've been complaining the whole time. My mom was raised different from my dad. Her parents didn't have money like my dad's parents did. And when my mom got pregnant with me, they took her in, since my mom's parents weren't "financially" ready to take care of a baby.