Resident Evil Extinction Chapter 5

Aurora had turned her back on Alice long enough for the red book of false promises to end up in Claire's hands. Aurora was really contemplating strangling her companion.

"If you and I can't make it to Alaska by ourselves on limited supplies, how the hell are thirty other people?" Aurora demanded, glaring at Alice from across the military truck.

"Alaska" Claire said to herself, for the third time, in total disbelief. She still hadn't gotten over how ridiculous the idea was since Alice presented it to her.

Across from Aurora and Claire, Alice sat between Chase and Mikey. Mikey had the book in his hands and was flipping through the pages curiously.

"We have to check it out, Claire, we can't ignore it" Mikey insisted

"Have you any idea what kind of journey that would be?" Claire challenged, glancing between him and Alice.

"Yeah" The cowboy, Chase, said from Alice's other side, "A long one"

"And at the end of it, what?" Claire snapped, "You have no guarantee there's even anyone alive out there!"

"Claire, these transmissions-"

Aurora scoffed, successfully cutting off Mikey. "They were dated six months ago! That's a lifetime of a difference in this world" Her furious blue eyes clashed with Alice's green ones, "I can't believe you"

"What else are we supposed to do, Aurora?" Alice snapped, glaring back, "Keep wandering around until we drop dead? There's a chance that there is somewhere safe-"

"It's not just us anymore, you've dragged these people into it" Aurora interrupted, pointing it to the people moping around outside the motel. "What if this Arcadia isn't real? Or, what if we're too late?"

Aurora and Alice glared at each other for an uneasy moment. They were always at odds with each other and settling scores was easy between just the two of them, but Aurora was right about one thing; other people were involved now.

Claire looked at her convoy and frowned. The group felt empty without Otto, Betty and the rest of their dead friends. It was clear that the entire convoy's moral had hit zero.

"This convoy trusts me with their life's" Claire said quietly, looking back at Alice and Mikey, "These people don't need pipe dreams"

"Maybe that's exactly what they need" Carlos finally spoke up; looking up from the bumper he was sitting on.

Aurora held in a sigh. The argument was officially over, Carlos had spoken on Alice's side and Claire trusted Carlos more than anybody.

"Look at'em, Claire" The Spaniard's lip curled into a frown, "Six months ago there with fifty of us, then forty, and now there's less than thirty" He informed them, "They're starting to give up. They need some sort of hope"

Claire glanced away from Carlos, and back to the convoy with a new look of determination. This decision wasn't just up to her, Carlos, Mikey and Chase.

~~~

Aurora and Alice watched off to the side as Claire explained the situation to the handful of survivors. Aurora couldn't help to look at Claire like she did Chris. The Redfield siblings shared a lot more then looks it seemed, they both demanded attention and were born leaders.

"We have a decision to make. And it's too big, it's too important for me to make for you" Claire announced, "There is a chance that there is survivors, in Alaska"

The convoy looked at each other with shock as they absorbed Claire's words.

"There is a chance," Claire stressed the words loudly, "That the infection hasn't reached at far" She shook her head, looking around the huddled group, "But we don't know for sure"