Resident Evil Afterlife Chapter 3

"What would you do if I died?"

Alice looked up from her coins and raised an eyebrow at her companion"That's a ridiculous, and morbid question"

"But we've never talked about it"Aurora pushed on"It's one of those forbidden questions, yeah?"

The woman was right, it wasn't something either of them wanted to talk about. Neither of them wanted to jinx it. So, Alice shrugged and continued stacking the coins on the makeshift table"I don't know. What would you do?"

Aurora thought about it for a moment, tapping a finger to her chin. Alice grinned when she saw it, Aurora was such a kid sometimes.

"I think I'd probably look for your body"

Alice wasn't exactly paying attention"And then?"

"If I found a body, I'd do my best to bury you"Aurora started"Assuming you'd do that for me"

Alice nodded without hesitation, suddenly attentive"Of course"She wouldn't leave Aurora for the zombies, she'd give her a burial. They both deserved that much.

Aurora tilted her head"I think I'd stop traveling. I'd be totally lost without you, I'd end up flying myself over the Bermuda Triangle"

Alice couldn't help to laugh out loud. Aurora was terrible with directions, she'd probably do just that without her"Where would you settle? Alaska?"Alice teased"Arcadia?"

Aurora scoffed"God, no. I'd settle up in some mountains"A thoughtful looked crossed her aged face"Find somewhere as high as I could go and just... you know... be"She shrugged

It was a nice idea, a little unrealistic but that had been the point, the entire conversation was unrealistic. Alice nodded along, unable to imagine Aurora being alone and at peace"It sounds nice, quiet"And not at all like you, she added to herself.

"What about you?"Aurora absentmindedly knocked over a small tower of coins

Alice swatted away her hands before she stopped organizing her collection"I guess we'll never know"She said ominously 

"Come'on, don't be like that"Aurora scolded"We're allowed at least one depressing conversation, this is important. We've seen a lot of people die and we never talked about it being one of us. We've never had to bury anyone ourselves"

Because it had always been just them. A few people came to mind, Carlos was one. Although, his body had been obliterated in the explosion. And then there was everyone who died in front of her in Raccoon city and the Hive. And of course, the people she met in between... there wasn't any time to grieve, or bury any bodies. They always kept moving.

"Knowing me,"Alice gave in, with a prolonged sigh"I'd grieve for a while, probably go into denial about your death, and then..."She trailed off. What what she do? She was the one who kept them moving because Aurora would drive herself mad if she settled in one place. Would she keep traveling after disappointment, after disappointment? Or would she finally lie down and give up?

"I don't know"Alice finally said after moment's of silence"But we're never going to find out"

Aurora heard the hint loud and clear. She bobbed her head in agreement"We won't. 'Cause I'm a impenetrable brick 'fucking wall, and you're The Alice"

Alice snorted quietly"The Alice?"She made her sound like some sort of superhero, or prophet, or something stupid like that.

Aurora nodded with a look of mock seriousness"You're a god damn legend"Aurora told her, waving her arms around madly"You attract trouble where ever you go, kick ass with those sultry little moves of your's"She wiggled her eyebrows in a suggestive manor"All while looking real fucking good, you know?"