Minnie's new friend

'Professor?' Harry half-whispered, eyes still fixed upon a figure a few meters in front of him.

McGonagall raised her head a few inches, looking at him for a split second, then turned her gaze at the floor as though ashamed of herself, and pretending to seem like she thought the floor was very, very interesting.

'Are you alright, Professor McGonagall?' said Harry.

'Of course, Potter ...' she said wiping away something on her face with the sleeve of her robes.

'I'm not an idiot, Professor ...' said Harry walking across the room towards her. 'Please tell me, what's bothering you ...'

'Oh Potter — there is a time like this — that you remind me so much of your parents ...' said McGonagall, still not looking at Harry, but the cold stone floor.

Harry half-chuckled saying: 'I believe your not the first nor last person that will tell me I look like my parents ... however — you still haven't answered my question Professor McGonagall'
He was now right in front of her and decided to sit down with her, on the little step in front of the Transfigurations classroom.

McGonagall forced a weak smile and finally answered his question. 'In time, you start thinking about your past, even if you know it will hurt you to look back ... you will do it. My past has not been the best, but I've coped with it ... but now as Albus, my husband, the people I cared so much about — are gone — it's hard not to have anyone to talk to — and in time you can't do anything than break down ...'

Harry was stunned, he had never thought McGonagall would ever cry, or even open up to him about, well anything. He had always thought of her as a person not willing to open up to someone very easily, he was wrong. 'I didn't know you had a husband ...' he said without really thinking.

'I had a husband — a long time ago, he d - died of a Venomous Tentacula bite — only three years into our marriage ...' said McGonagall, looking like she might just burst into tears once more. 'Everything was a lot easier — with, Al - Albus — he would understand — and share his own gruesome past ... but now — with him gone — and so many others ... everything is just a bit — hopeless ...'

'Who else are you referring to, Professor?' said Harry, starting to get a bit curious, but instantly regretted asking this question as it was a very personal one.

'Please call me, Minerva — or Minnie as your father and his friends used to. Those I am referring to, however, are — my first great love; a Muggle I could not live the rest of my days with, Order members, and — even if they did cause loads of trouble I always found happiness in those so-called "Marauders", although I must say I do not miss Mr Pettigrew ... how could he betray his friends like that?'

'It is clear for me Minnie that your past has not necessarily been any easier than mine, but I can help — I can be your friend ... or whatever my dad was for you ...' said Harry, smiling warmly at her, which she returned. He moved closer to Minnie and gave her a comforting, slightly awkward hug ... but it felt right, right to talk with her, right to make her feel better and give her a hug, just as right as it had felt when he had comforted Hermione in his sixth year, and Hagrid under Aragog's burial, and when he drank tea with Draco for him to have some company, when he had been at the bottom. But he would never, ever have thought that he, Harry Potter, would befriend a Hogwarts Professor. Maybe it does make a difference to be one yourself?

Why do I keep making such crappy chapters?? Oh, well ... at least it's something ...
And thank you so-so much for 570 reads it means a lot!
-Astra💛🖤