[6] The Blind Baviin (Part 2)

Anyu found Haygen easily enough among the crowd and the dwarf was with him. The pair was also trying to figure out what was going on. Otis signaled to Wess up in the crow's nest to join them and Kayla explained what all of the ruckus was about.

"So, are we getting in on this action?" asked Wess. His three friends all gave him a stern look. Anyu appeared indifferent.

"No, Wesley," lectured Kayla. "We are not getting in on this action. The elf folded her arms. "For what purpose?"

"But think of a share of the gold!" the faeling exclaimed.

"It wouldn't be the first time we took down a monster for gold, Kayla," Otis agreed.

"Yes, but there's normally a reason for that, Otis," said Kayla. "A village in danger, a trade route in peril. Important historical artifacts."

"Lots of gold," Wess opened his hands. "That's a very good reason."

Haygen rolled his eyes, agreeing with all of them, but not wanting his friends to fight over money. "Here comes, Zahdu. We better decide quick."

Otis spoke next, "Are we in this together, or not? It's volunteer only."

Anyu pulled an arrow and slid it onto her bowstring. She walked away from the small circle.

Haygen watched her as she left.

"Anyu," Kayla called after her. "You don't have to hunt."

"Yes, magician, I do." The golden haired ranger smiled at the elf who did not yet understand her ways. "Captain let me stay on his boat. I am no longer a pirate's slave because of Hay-gen. But Captain asks for help. I must help as long as I am on his ship." She raised her bow. "This help and repay captain." She stood in line with the other hunters.

"See," said Wess. "We need to help the captain!"

His friends rolled their eyes in unison.

"Honestly, Wesley," Kayla said. "She thinks of this completely different than you and you know it." Maybe the woman was right. Maybe they owed Zahdu. Her mind was torn. She turned to their dwarf leader. "I'm sorry, Otis," said Kayla finally. "I just can't. I've sworn to protect the ship and that is what I'll do, but I won't hunt this animal for gold alone." She stormed away to the deck side and drew her hood up, tucking her hands inside her oversized sleeves.

"We stay with the ship," Otis gave the order. "The captain has gold on the brain. I fear it has clouded his judgment."

Wess exhaled, "Fine. You lot are sooo boring sometimes!"

"We stay together," Otis snapped. "We are strongest together. We are floating on a piece of wood in the middle of the bloody ocean, you nit!" He looked to the sky. Gray clouds were moving in with the westward wind. He smiled. His eyes always squinted when he smiled and his black fuzzy beard could never hide the deep creases of wisdom around his eyes. "Never have I been more sure. Do as I say this time, Wesley. This storm..."

"Yes, Otis, of course," was all Wess had to say. He hung his head a moment, but then the faeling's eyes twinkled finding a bright side as always. "I'll have a great view of the hunt from the crow's nest!" He swung on his ropes and ladders with up to his basket high atop the main mast.

Haygen and Otis merely nodded to each other in understanding. Haygen didn't want his friends to fight. This was his journey and they were helping him and the last thing he wanted was for them to argue. But they always found a way to work through things.

The barbarian walked over to Anyu's side and touched her for the first time since her rescue. He let his large hand rest on her shoulder to get her attention. Anyu turned to him and smiled. Her small, but strong hand on went to his as he tried to pull it away. She held his hand firm to her shoulder. Haygen didn't fight her, but looked around the crowded deck to make sure no one was paying too much attention. Her face was more rounded now. The hard edges of her cheekbones had softened and she was less sickly and more defined and not helpless. This woman had beauty, strength and boldness to match her courage. How do I explain this to her? He wondered.  Finally he spoke.

"Look, Anyu, you don't owe the captain this." He pointed out to the Blind Baviin. "We are asked to protect the ship. Everything else is up to us."

"Stand with your tribe." She eyed his friends, and then met his gaze again. Her yellow hair was pulled back in a complex braid forming a single ponytail. "I have slain beasts of this size before." They stood in uncomfortable silence. "Now go," she shooed him with a wave of her hand. "I will return soon."

"Be sure of that," Haygen said laughing at her gesture. He made his way through the crowded deck and joined Otis and Kayla at the starboard side of the ship.

[][][]

Wess kept keen watch atop the main mast that pitched forward and back as the Shady Lady finally caught up to the sluggish Baviin. The ship was fast, but the gray storm clouds were faster still and a steady rain fell and brought gloom to the event. Thunder erupted in the northwest in pops and flashes. Its head broke the surface and Wess laughed as it spouted an airy spray of water even above the top of the sails. The Baviin's head was egg shaped and large as a horse cart. Its shiny gray skin was marbled in black. It had no eyes, only two holes for ears, which were very sensitive. The Baviin ducked its head back under the sea in a smooth arc, allowing its long, skinny neck and enormous smooth back to show and finally its long tail came up and slapped the water hard making a splash. From his view, Wess could make out a shadow of the creature and it was nearly as long as the ship from head to tail. It propelled itself along with four large fins.

Upon reaching the creature, its enormity cast away even the bravest of sea hunters. There were now only two attack boats willing to charge it. Both boats held four rowers, a helmsman, and a harpooner. Zahdu was the harpooner of the lead boat and Anyu was asked to helm it. Beckett cleated the harpoon lines firmly to the deck. He lowered the two boats into the water and strong rowers worked their oars fighting the rain and the wind and the waves. The boats bobbed and danced in the waves and Anyu steered her rudder towards the belly of the beast. The rowers' arms flexed with each pull until finally they were within throwing distance. Zahdu stood upright and drew back his harpoon. He balanced and waited patiently for the head to rise out of the water...there. Next, the spray...and there was the neck. Finally, Wess saw the body break the surface and Zahdu hurled his jagged harpoon. The sharp steel pierced the back of the beast with a firm strike. The other harpooner, an islander who called herself Skullba, threw her harpoon and it sunk deep into the sea creature's hide. The Blind Baviin's head burst from the sea and let out a long, aching wail. It rolled to its side and its two giant left flippers came sailing out from the deep. It was then that Zahdu and Skullba hefted their second harpoons and aimed for the beast's soft underbelly. Both harpooners threw and both blades plunged into the creature under its front fin. The beast groaned loud, but just a bit weaker this time. Bubbles formed as his scream carried into the depths of the Black Sea. The long harpoon lines quickly uncoiled until one after the other they all went taunt. The ship listed to the starboard side and Wess held tight to a nearby rope to keep from being tossed from his perch on high.

The Baviin's head broke the water again and the mist from his blowhole was bright red. Blood filled the water as the dying beast thrashed in its death throws in a horrid song of chirps and groans.

Anyu let go of the rudder in a rage. "Enough," she said to no one in particular. The warrior pulled her bow free and drew back an arrow. She timed the rocking of the small boat with the movement of the creature. "I must end this suffering." She let the arrow fly and it flew straight into the Baviin's small ear and all watched as the white fletching disappeared into the creature's head.

The Baviin fell silent. Its struggle was over and its body went limp.

Much of the crew cheered and began to pull their claim closer to the boat. Anyu let out a deep breath and stared to the west as the crew busied themselves towing and prepping the carcass. They would soon skin the creature while it was still in the water. Much of their cargo would have to be thrown overboard in order to make room for their kill.

Otis said a prayer to the sea goddess, Vedra, and wished the spirit of the Blind Baviin a swift journey.

It was at this time, though, something occurred that the crew of the Shady Lady did not expect. Something rammed the port side of the ship and cracked the ironwood hull. The sound of the breaking wood cut through the air like a thunderbolt.

A/N This chapter is dedicated to ChroniclesofGavin!
Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter please consider a vote :)