[39] The Druid Grove

The caravan slowed near a trickling stream to refill their water skins and clean themselves of battle gore.

Haygen stripped away his piecemeal leather armor and found relief in each buckle and strap he unfastened. Finding it a bloody mess, he dunked it in the stream and used a small stick to clean between the intricate portions. The water cooled his hands, so much so that he set his armor aside and cupped his hands for a drink. He stared at his reflection in the rippling water and barely recognized himself. Blood and mud streaked his face and made the pockets under his eyes stand out. He could not believe the length of his beard. I look like...an Orc, he reasoned. But as he shuddered, a voice of crystal and patience shattered his dark thoughts.

"You can't see your mother looking that way."

Haygen looked to the calming sound. Kayla Windshaper bounded down from the horse cart and walked to him barefooted. The setting sun backlit her hair giving her a natural glow. Her short cat naps always worked wonders for her. He learned that Wizards found them useful after battles if the opportunity arose. He never objected and often looked after her as she recovered her energy.

"I could use your help," Haygen admitted. His forlorn drawl seemed to worry her.

Kayla circled around him, inspecting his appearance. "This is going to take some work." She put a finger to her lips. "Unless..."

"No magic."

She pressed her lips into lines. "Fine. Rinse off best you can. I'll be right back." She started off, then turned back to him. "What's Selene's favorite color?"

"Blue," said Haygen without hesitation. He remembered everything about her. From how she wore her dark hair to the dimples in her cheeks and the songs she sang.

Kayla nodded and returned to the supply wagon.

The Barbarian scrubbed at his armor. Otis taught him to keep his arms and armor in top condition. Once he was satisfied with the bulk of it, the Wizard returned with a sapphire blue silk blanket and a small leather satchel.

"Take care of that cut?" asked Haygen.

"Yes. Wesley told me about the Hobgoblin and his trickery." She gave him a grin. "He forgot that I'm protected from little thieves like him." Kayla held out the grey stone amulet that hung around her neck by its robust silver chain. She stared at it in deep thought for a long moment, rubbing her thumb across the runes. Her eyes darkened a shade.

"Wizards have their own tricks, ya?" said Haygen snapping her out of her daydream.

"Sorry," Kayla said, "I was reminiscing."

"It's not the prettiest of rocks, but I guess it does the job," said the Half-orc.

"It is a dull stone," Kayla agreed, "but I've grown attached to the color. I think it means something. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it. I'm really not sure. Sometimes, I don't understand my teacher's lessons until much later." Her cheeks lifted. "Enough about me, let's get you cleaned up."

The Wizard fished in the leather satchel and removed a pair of scissors. She trimmed his long, savage hair to shoulder-length. Then, she tamed his overgrown beard. "Alright. Stand up now. Arms wide."

The Half-orc's cheeks flushed. He did as instructed, but not before he wiped stray hairs from his eyes.

Kayla unrolled the sapphire blanket. A black, wavy ocean pattern bordered the edges. She made a cut in the center of the blanket and placed Haygen's head through the hole.

The material was soft and smooth on his skin in comparison to his rough hide armor. His thoughts went to Anyu. He wondered if she reached her village and if she was alright and...