[13] Solid Ground and a Cave

They walked a few paces and Haygen stumbled to one knee—wave sickness attacked his senses yet again. He drove Icefang into the rocky red surface to stay the motion in his head. Otis and Anyu offered their hands and helped him up best he could.

"Very little vegetation," said Kayla. Thick, dark, crooked plants sprouted at random guarded by pointy needles. Some were stunted and round.

Anyu nodded. "You will not find many plants here in the Wastes, but the ones you do see are either very deadly, or very helpful."

Wess scanned the nearby mountains for a shelf, or cave for shelter. "Look there." He pointed a bit northwest up the mountain along the coastline. "It's a platform overlooking the sea coming right out of the mountain at the mouth of that cave."

"And there," Otis pointed. They followed his finger to a twisting set of jagged steps that were hewn into the mountain. If one were not looking for them, they would easily be missed. The mountain Dwarf saw it easily. Otis judged the distance, looked at the state of the Barbarian, and then contemplated the situation. "Let's move to the base of the mountain and rest a moment." He looked to Haygen. "Sound right?"

The Half-orc nodded, looking even more green than usual.

It was an hour's hike to the northern mountain base with little sign of life. They spotted only a red striped snake chasing a small blue lizard. It gave Otis a chance to prioritize their situation: shelter, water, fire, and lastly, food. Magic could take care of two of those. The air was very dry and hot, but come nightfall the temperature would drop quickly. Their clothes were soaking wet and the chill of the night would bring their body temperatures down to a dangerous level. They had to dry out their clothes first.

Haygen sat down with a heavy thud and closed his eyes. "Dag! I don't know where we are, but it's a lot better than the boat." He gripped the rocks next to him to steady his swaying.

Anyu kept a careful watch on the horizon and possible scouting positions. "Let us not be hasty when it comes to this land. I would keep two eyes on that cave above us."

"No problem," said the Elf. She stomped her foot and she was completely dry, clean, and perfumed again.

Wesley spun his dagger, Ravenwing, in his hand. "Shall I take a peek inside?"

"Not just yet, Wesley." Otis measured up the shape of the group.

Wesley's cloak, tunic, breeches, and boots were riddled with small holes. Blood ran from his cheek where a bit of acid rain got through. His hardened leather plates were in tact and his chain vest held firm. His gear belt hung a bit loose, but was still in good working order. His multitude of weapons still clung to his belt and parts of his armor. His small one-handed crossbows were loaded in their holsters and ready to strike.

Haygen had not been hit by the acid rain as hard as the stubborn Assassin. He had blood on his hands and parts of his hair were missing. His armor needed a lot of repair around the thinner sections and straps.

Kayla was a bit physically drained and tired, but she was not injured. Her magic shield and her sister's robes prevented any physical damage. She looked like she needed a good night's sleep.

Anyu was not a difficult one for the Dwarf to read. She truly was of this wild place. Not just a survivor, but one who thrived in the wild. He would be more worried about her if she were in a comfortable tavern in civilization. Now, though, she had an arrow nocked on her bow. Her white fur top and shorts revealed that her toned muscles were relaxed and ready. Her watchful eye was a stoic one. He wished he had more like her when he fought in the war.