[51] Overwatch

Kayla followed Arataas out the Tomb of Valor and over to a field stone structure set on the west side of the Dragon launching grounds.  This building lacked any decorations, or creature comforts.  Arataas shifted back into his guise, wrapping a new red silk robe around himself.  They pushed open a set of Elf-sized double doors revealing the vast interior. It reminded Kayla of a Horse stable, but far too clean and too bright.  A maze of Cherrywood stalls finished with a brilliant lacquer ran up, down, and around the many halls.  Each stall had its own plaque with divine scrollwork and silver nameplate with a name etched into it.

Arataas said, "Training equipment and saddles for the Knights and Blades of Kalimas.  We just call them Chests, like a treasure chest." He led her into the building.

They walked through the row of fine wooden stalls, noting many names, until they came across Arataas' plaque.  Like the rest, it housed wooden and steel training weapons, two saddles, a ballista, and brightly tipped silver spears. Arataas entered the chest and lifted the heavy saddle off its stand. 

The saddle did not appear normal to Kayla.  Its red leather seat had a high cantle and a silver horn of a Dragon's head.  The mechanical device underneath clearly made the chair spin about.  Foot pedals for communication.  A steel ring surrounded the rider at hands level with a complex anchoring system to mount the ballista.  Straps and hooks for attachment.  Simple enough and that's what makes it brilliant, she thought. 

They walked out to the Dragon launch area where Arataas shifted back to his natural form.  He lifted the saddle with his tail and placed it loosely on his back. 

Kayla climbed atop of him.  She maneuvered the heavy saddle into position and placed the fastening hooks into the four part of the scales.  "That doesn't hurt?"

Arataas looked back.  "Not at all."

Kayla stood back, but found the seat faced the wrong direction.  "I need to spin it." 

"You can do that when you're seated."

"I'm in," said the Wizard.  She tightened the lap belt tight.  "Whoever sat here last is much larger than I."

"Yes.  He was."  Arataas' words faded with the sun and he laid his head down.

Kayla feared the worst from his tone, so she changed the subject, but reminded herself to ask him about his rider later. 

"Put your feet on the steering posts," said the Dragon.  His voice sounded more enchanting now.  "Pull the lever in front of you to spin."

She pulled up on the silver Dragon's head and spun her body left, timing the stop just right, then let go of the horn.  Perfect, she thought.  "No crossbow then?" asked Kayla.

"No," said Arataas definitively.  "Perhaps another time."

"Alright.  Ready when you are."

Without warning, Arataas spread his wings and dove straight off the edge of the mountain side.  The sudden drop made Kayla's stomach fall, but the Dragon lifted up immediately.  Kayla thought him a master of winds in order to use his wings in such a way.  The thrill of Dragonflight returned.

In a wide arc, the golden Dragon turned westward, then adjust a bit more towards the mountains far off in the distance. 

Kayla, thankful again for her magical robes to keep her warm, looked below her.  She expected to see the training grounds of the Scar, but instead saw nothing but stone.  An illusion, she thought, just like Green Haven.  She recalled reading several spells in her grimoire about illusions, but skimmed over them.  She made a mental note to practice a few once she had the time.