[57] Aftermath (Part 2) - Tamberlain

The southern road to Tamberlain grew cold and since the companions left the Druids behind, they relied nightly on Kayla's pocket dimension for shelter. Inside, the Wizard went on to create the Ranger outpost where they first met Jordy. The tree house stood as in reality. They feasted on wild duck from the spit, garden greens, and cold ale from ever-filling mugs. They bathed in the lac and played with the goat and ran amongst the trees. All the while, her thoughts drifted to Arataas. The companions praised her for her gifts, but she played coy and remained humble saying it was but a small thing.

The companions walked through the eastern paths of the Whispering Woods and it brought joy to their hearts. They told Anyu wild tales of Valon Sadesh and the Tenchi and their battle for the skull.

Kayla enjoyed the moments they had just the five of them and she knew she had to embrace these times of friendship and forge the memories into her mind as they would soon be apart for a long while.

[][][]

Tamberlain welcomed the companions home as famed Warriors much to the Faeling's joy. The Fuzzy Quarterstaff still held their table and Camryl still held the key to Otis' cottage front door. They spent the weeks end in town and embraced the feelings of home.

One eve at their table in the back corner of the Fuzzy, lit low by dim, fat candles, the companions spoke of their future undertakings.

"Are you sure that you three can handle these slaver scum without us?" asked the Guardian.

"I think we can handle this nest of Vipers," said Wess. "A band of Pirates calling themselves The Keepers. Finding them will be the hardest part and like I say, I've got connections."

Anyu stabbed her dagger deep into the thick Maple table. "I will have blood."

The companions lurched back, avoiding the blade.  Kayla recalled Anyu's emaciated, tortured state on their first meeting aboard the Shady Lady and could not blame her vengeful thoughts.

"Careful!" Wess cried. His ale sloshed into his lap. "Blast!"

"Apologies," said Anyu yanking the blade free from the table. "But there are men that need slaying and I mean to do so."

Haygen rested a hand on her shoulder. "We know. We will find them."

Kayla could no longer contain herself. "Otis and I are leaving for the eastern lands after our journey to the Towers of Ulmaka." She covered her mouth as if she belched.

Wess sprayed his ale across the table all over Otis' face and beard. "YOU'RE WHAT?"

"Panadahe's grace!" Shouted the Dwarf. He dragged his hand down his face!

Wess raised a hand. "I'm sorry, Otis." He turned to the Wizard. "YOU'RE WHAT?" He slammed his mug and his ale sloshed all over the table.

"Hey!" Haygen furrowed his brow. "You're wasting the ale! Give it to me if you won't drink it."

Kayla closed her eyes, took a breath, and after swearing her three other companions to a silent pact, she explained to them what she already discussed with Otis. About Kellis Vöhl and Arataas. About the Dragons and the Order of Kalimas and their hidden fortress in the Scar.

"Dag!" said Haygen.

"A Secret Order of Dragon riding Knights," said Wess. "Where do I sign up?"

"Fighting Demons," Anyu added.

Wess pursed his lips. "Forgot about that bit. How did you two get in then?"

Kayla did not hesitate. "They already had mind to invite Otis before me."