[20] Death and Dust

Kayla's eyes fluttered open to reveal darkness and crimson light fighting for control.  As her vision focused, cast shadows on the ceiling created a silent play of a familiar shape. A small head with short pointed ears danced and grew and shrank. She sat up and the room spun.  "My head," she whispered.  Letting the world settle, she closed her eyes and the darkness calmed her.  The air she breathed was dusty and the unholy stench was pungent.  If there was something she disliked more than being dirty it was an awful smell.  But it was part of being an adventurer she accepted long ago.

"Careful now," came a friendly voice.  Wess brought over a warm grin as he crept between the sleeping bodies around him.  "How are you feeling?"

Kayla ran her fingers through her silver hair and licked her lips to get moisture back to her mouth.  "A bit dizzy I'm afraid."  She glanced about the room.  "Are we in a—"

"We're safe," Wess assured her.  "I've checked every dark corner."

The Elf pressed her lips into a painful smile.  She glanced over to see Anyu sleeping under Haygen's massive green arm.  Both of them with their hands on their weapons, ready at a moment's notice.  Otis was comfortable on his back, eyes closed and hands folded on his stomach.  His big chest heaved up and down with each breath.  Kayla's focus went to the glowing red stone that Wess fashioned to the pommel of a dagger.  "Is that one of the rocks from..."

"Yeah," said Wess.  "I chipped it out of the Wizard's cave."  He handed her the dagger and she gazed at the stone.  "I bet if I polished it with some sand it would get brighter.  Just haven't had the time to tinker."

Kayla rubbed the jagged stone between her thumb and forefinger, then handed the dagger back.  "It's beautiful."

"Well then."  The Assassin fumbled through his belt pouches and handed her the largest one he chipped from the wall.  "For you."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course.  I carved about seven out while you all slept."

Kayla smirked and shook her head.  "You little sneak thief." 

"It's what I do."

She held up the stone that was the size of her palm.  It was crude and rough with bits of other black stone about it.  She scraped away some of the dull red and with her dagger and the Faeling was correct.  A brighter beam cut through the darkness. 

"Would you look at that," Wess said. 

"It's not a stone," said Kayla, "it's a crystal."  She rolled it over in her hand, the red glow mesmerizing her.  "Be careful with these, Wesley.  Just until we investigate them.  We do not know their powers." 

Wess knew all too well the magic of rune stones and crystals.  While rune stones were ordinary rocks imbued with magic, crystals beheld a power within.  "Well, I hammered away at them pretty good with my dagger, so I know they're not dangerous if I crack on them."

"True," said the Magic player, "but be cautious all the same."  She closed her eyes and tried to wish away her headache.  "I do not sense any danger, but crystals are clever.  The larger the more powerful."  She scraped some more spots off her crystal and set it on the ground. 

"Let's try something," said the Faeling always enamored with magic. 

Kayla nodded.  He had presented her with the gift, so it was only fair to entertain his curiosity.  Waving a hand over it, she whispered one magical word.  "Illuminos." Nothing happened. 

"What's wrong?"  Wess asked wringing his hands together. 

"Nothing," said Kayla, "like I said, crystals are different.  They have their own...personality sometimes."  She tried again with a different spell.  "Caratuur."  The crystal's light grew even brighter, lighting the whole chamber like a crimson lamp.  "You see?"